What's new

misfiring and other random questions

Reaction score
hello again. after trawling through past posts, i believe that my car may be misfiring. when i accelerate, the engine seems to hesitate. its doesn't jerk or throw me around but I can feel that it hesitates. it gets better when the cars warm but its always slightly there. ive ordered some new sparkys which should be here next week.

also, what is an afm and how do i clean the pipe? (also, where is it??)
anything else I should clean as I only just got the car and putting my stamp on it will give me peace of mind so I dont mind changing parts if necessary. should I buy a coilpack or wait and change the spark plugs first? by the way, where does this coilpack go?

sorry for the noob questions :eek:

Reaction score
Country
An AFM is the black box that is right after your airbox but before your turbo.

Just unscrew the 4 nuts attached to the airbox and you can take out the afm. To clean it, I recommend buying a contact cleaner and spraying it. Do not use ANY object (cotton butt etc) to touch the wires as it's very fragile and you might kill the afm

Trust me, if your coilpack dies, then ur car will sound like a wrx (running 3 cylinders as one wouldn't fire). It will feel more than sluggish. You dont need to change it yet but if it dies, then you do something bout it I guess.

The normal stuffs to do when you just get the car is do a full fluid flush(for me :p). Engine oil, trans oil and diff oil. Check belts. Power steering fluid and brake fluid check. Change the spark plugs. Oil filter. And fuel filter if you want a piece of mind. That's basically all the small stuffs.

G

gunner93

Dump pipe. It's a sensor with 3 wires coming out.
Its quite a pain to remove it. Mine had to remove heat shield, O2 harness and the breather pipe. Then need to cut off the 3 wires and remove with a hollow socket no.23 if not mistaken.

R

Regc10

I really Need help guyz. My 2001 Spec R is miss firing. I just changed all the plugs to eradium, hoping it would solve the problem. I also just go a 3" dump pipe done from the turbo and got rid of the cat converter and resonator. I also checked the coil packs they are all fine. I have no idea why the engine is missing on idle.

G

gunner93

I really Need help guyz. My 2001 Spec R is miss firing. I just changed all the plugs to eradium, hoping it would solve the problem. I also just go a 3" dump pipe done from the turbo and got rid of the cat converter and resonator. I also checked the coil packs they are all fine. I have no idea why the engine is missing on idle.
From my experience, either the O2 sensor or one of the silicon hoses is not tightly clamped. It leaks air and would cause rich AFR. Therefore the car will sputter at certain time when the chamber is flooded with fuel.

R

Regc10

Hey Gunner thanks for the prompt response. A mate of mine checked it at the performance shop. he adjusted the timing today to 15 degrees which is the factory settings, he also adjusted the idle. It helped in stabilizing it a little, however he said since my engine is running extremely rich I need to get a Power FC Tune it, or get my ECU remapped and get a 300zx AFM. My car is backfiring like crazy and at some points it sounds like a gun going off. this all started after I chucked in a turbosmart bov and did the 3" exhaust system. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

R

Regc10

By the way would the O2 sensor be he one which is connected to the 3" dump pipe? Or is there any other one?

Reaction score
Country
check all your boost hoses/pipes and the whole of your cars 'breathing system' for leaks. ie airfilter right the way to the engine. I found a crack in an intercooler pipe which caused me no end of bother. Backfired like crazy and overfuelled. My top tip - check all hoses and pipes, then check again. :)

R

Regc10

I will get a compression test done this weekend, which should sort out any leak issue right? I don't wanna spend big $$ on ECU stuffs because I am planning on doing a lot of other mods and doing the ECU, tune and dyno last. No point doing 1 mod and getting it tuned, that'll be a waste of money.