What's new

good exhaust & suspension advice please!

Reaction score
Hi all,
Had my first experience on the track this year, my god HOW amazing was it lol, and at silverstone too, i was very nervous & slow but am looking forward to next year to get on there again and improve!
im looking firstly, to get some new suspension, as i found the standard set-up wallowing round the bendy stuff, to my suprise!.
has anyone got any recommendations? it is my daily drive so i dont want it to hard, ideally, i would like Tein, but i think im kinda hooked on the name, which could be a mistake, has anyone tried the Nismo S suspension? these caught my eye as they are very affordable! can anyone advice good spring rates too?
and anyone's advice on more advanced suspension i.e tension rods etc, would be appreciated, or is that more "pro" type parts?
secondly, im "considering" an exhaust system, obviously for track use, im looking at a HKS silent hi-power, are there any other "track" type systems out there? has anyone gone for anything not labelled with japanese cars like, i dunno, mongoose etc?
failing that im kinda tempted to keep my standard system and get myself just a de-cat pipe, i believe somebody on the sxoc can make them up??? i read a while ago? correct me if im wrong!
well, thats a lot of questions to answer, keep you guys busy!!! lol
any advice would be greatly appreciated!
cheers guys!
:wave:

Reaction score
adjustable arms are needed once you've lowered your car, just to bring alignment back into tollerances...

i've got the HKS silent, and honestly, once you've got an elbow, downpipe and decat in there.... i can't imagine you'd want any louder! it truely is a lovely system. i beleive mongoose is quite a boomy system.

creasy i believe is who makes the decats on sxoc, nicely will confirm cause he has one! although an R32 GTR decat will fit!

as for coilovers, the apex ones get good ratings. although the new driftworks inverted coilovers are fairly sexy too, apparently good for track, drift and street.... reasonable price compared to the alikes... ?750ish!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
A few of us have the Apex coilovers and are quite happy with them. They aren't perfect compared to some of the coilovers made specifically for the S15, but for ?1000+ difference in price, who gives a crap? As stated, if you lower, you'll need to sort the alignment, which could add another ?500 onto the cost (with laser alignment). A word of warning about inverted coilovers: they may sound sexy, but they need rebuilding every year...

The Silent Hi Power is one of the few systems which will give a nice sound, good performance AND pass the track noise regulations of all the UK tracks (with a decat, front pipe, elbow and mani). Mine got 84dB last time.

Creasey doesn't do the decats any more :(

Reaction score
I also have a HKS Silent Hi-Power a lovely piece of kit and as Nicely says even with other exhaust mods,decat,front pipe,elbow and manifold, its not too loud.

Im running the Tein Flex set up off the S14 its the same fit but the spring rates are higher 336lbs front 280 rear compared to the S15's 280 front 224 rear, the S14 set also allows for a greater ride height adjustment -60 front -40 rear the S15 set is -35 f and -35 r its fairly hard over bumps but that could be down to the tyre profiles also.

I got a de-cat off e-Bay there are plenty there and as I work in an Exhaust factory I just beefed up the welds to make sure they were not going to break although I dont think it was necessary as the weld was good quality just added peace of mind for me.Put in a search for "S15 decat" and see what comes up:)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Which i doubt mine would be below, but i love the noise of it :D

I swapped from Tein HA's to Apex performance coilovers, the Teins were pretty knackered, but the improvment switching to Apex unit was amazing, they are great :thumbs:

Reaction score
i must admit, i have had a sneaky peak at the Apex ones, they seem very popular, so they got to be doing something right! im well aware of rebuilding inverted suspension (as you said about the driftworks kit) thats something i really dont wanna have to do....
Has nobody tried or knows anyone that has tried the Nismo S kit??
As for the exhaust, i thought you might say the HKS one, as, once again it seems the most popular! i have looked at the Blitz Nur-spec, my friend has one on his GT-four but is does sound loud! i dont wanna waste ?500 quid on a exhaust and end up being turned away from the track so i think i better play safe with the HKS.

Reaction score
Country
Thats why im liking the look of the RX exhaust as it doesnt require one. Ill try and find out what the Db rating is.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nismo S suspension gets a good write up and following on SXOC, It drops the car a set amount, whereas coilovers can be adjusted to alomst any height. Nismo S is plug and play, the coilovers will require setup, playing around with the dampers, height, camber etc etc to get them working right.

If your most road based and not to bothered about lowering more than circa 30mm, then i'd concider the Nismo S...... although i beleive its more expensive.

Reaction score
Country
Thats why im liking the look of the RX exhaust as it doesnt require one. Ill try and find out what the Db rating is.
Just had a quick look at the Blitz site.
they Nur-Spec RX is jasma approved and is rated 92 Db, that should be loudiest through the rev range.

i have the Nur-Spec R, there is not Db rating but i have seen on other sites that it can be as high as 102 Db. beleive me it is loud. and putting in the bung really does drop the sound and performance big time.

the original s15 exhaust is rated 88Db. So Nicely must of been taken it handy on the track haha:rotfl:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Mine was 84dB @ 4500rpm, which is the level they test at tracks :)

The rating for the Nur Spec will be with the standard mani, front pipe and cat. Put a decat in and you've immediately removed one bung... :wack:

The Apex Performance single box was measured at 104dB, and the loudest system I've known at a track day was 107dB. :eek: Needless to say, it didn't get on....

Reaction score
Country
i have been thinking about getting a new system thats not as loud, its amazing how much nicer the car is to drive with out the excess sound, i mean you can actually hear the sound of the engine airfilter and DV recirc sound. and its also better for trouble shooting exhaust leaks.

what you guy think of the Greddy Ti Exhausts i was temped to buy one but not sure how they sound and how loud they can be with out standard mani front pipe elbow decat??????