What's new

Dump / Blow off Valve .. PSSSHT!

J

j0nbubz

ok guys!

fitted my blitz dd on hotpipe to my S15.. and put a y piece to connect the actuating pipe to it..

what can I do to not make it atmos? I want my old flutter (pidgeon!)

J

j0nbubz

I was just kidding.. lol anyways.. my Blitz DD is an atmos bov, there is no way to recirc it right? (there is only 1 outlet on the bov for the actuating pipe)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
There are 2 differnet schools about the pidgeon killing turbos or not.
some claim that pidgeons will kill the turbo almost instantly while other claim that the damage will be so small that there is probobly something else that will kill it befoer the pidgeon does.

Here is a recent thread on gtr.co.uk regarding this matter.
I know there is alot of people running pidgeons on the SXOC.co.uk and has been for several years now without any problems.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/82141-does-compressor-surge-kill-turbos.html

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Pigeon isn't going to kill an S15 turbo instantly. It might kill a ceramic though.

The best options are BOV to atmosphere or recirculated BOV. The difference is the atmos will cause terrible jerkiness when lifting off at speed. Oh, and had the :ghey: sound :p

Running a recirculated BOV gives you the same smoothness as the OEM recirc, but doesn't have the boost leaking over 1 bar. You will also get some pigeon sound :)

Not all BOV can be recirced. You have to buy a specific type which can be fitted with a recirc adapter, eg. HKS SSQV or Racing 2.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
That kit looks to included the recirc adapter.

The standard recirc valve can cope with around 1 bar before it leaks. There is a mod you can do to it to sort the leak though. Pigeon is OK up to a bar. Back pressure will be quite a bit over that though. I have to say that I noticed turbo stall running full pigeon.

Reaction score
Country
^^ Yep that one looks like it's recirculate.

There's no actual fact stating pigeons kill turbos so I would say if you are not running insane boost, you are pretty much safe.

The stock bov is good for about 1bar before it starts leaking so you only need to change it when you up the boost.

I-nearly-bought-a-batty,

You must be running alot of boost to be using that bov. Which version of Type R do you have? I heard they are black and silver housing? black 25psi spring and silver 30 psi spring.

J

j0nbubz

I have a Blitz DD atmo (no recirc available), however gear changes definitely feel smoother than previously (running a pigeon with no stock DV)

However, as nicely puts it, the sound is quite boring =).

My boost is stock at the moment, and will probably only go to 1bar max. I would assume it safe to go back to my pigeon?

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a re-circ DV, i was gonna go for the Sard R2D2, i also tried the "pigeon" mod, but, i no some of you guys are quite sceptical about this mod, and some are not, personally, the thought of air being forced back through my turbo doesn't fill me with confidence, but thats just me.
I got myself a apexi induction, and was nicely suprised that my standard nissan DV came to life!!.
Personally, i think dump valves sound a bit naff, and, for the money are a bit of a waste of money, i like the subtle sound that my standard one makes with the Apexi. i would prefer to spend my money on something that will have some noticable effect on my car!
but thats just my opinion.!
:wave:

Reaction score
Country
well to be honest the reason i use a DV is because im running high boost over 1 bar.... in recirc as i got tired of the high pitch sound:D

nothing wrong with standard DV if you plan to never run high boost.
no one can resist abit of boost:D:cool:

you only get problems when you do run high boost the standard Dv's they are known to leak over 1 bar of boost.

J

j0nbubz

Ive just bought a blitz bov recirculation flange kit.. will put this on and see what the difference is!!

hope it leans the a/f a bit!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Though, there is a mod to stop the standard recirc from leaking. It was on the old NS.co.nz site, so fook knows where it is now.... :p

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
j0nbubz - you should notice a difference, i noticed the car being smoother when swapping from a Blitz atmos bov to my HKS re-circ :thumbs: