What's new

VTC Solenoid question

S

silvialam

hi guys,

I have a question here regarding about the VTC solenoid. I was told that the VTC solenoid will have a 'clicking' sound when ever the VTC is activated. For an E.g. your car is at stationary and you are at first gear. the moment you tap the gas paddel a little, you will hear the VTC solenoid clicking sound. IS this true?

I tried last time, it will have clicking sound but recently i dont hear any of the clicking sound anymore. Would it be because the VTC solenoid is spoil?

im using powerFC ecu and from the commander itself, the VTC indicator shows is working fine.

Anyone experience this before?

** there is no rattling sound or what so ever, just wondering how come the 'clicking' sound is no longer there.... please advise

Thank you

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
that clicking sound your talking about sounds like the fuel injectors to me... the injector make a slit clicking sound when you tap the gas pedal. vtc dont make any sound when activated. only when the VTC solenoid are worn they make a hugh rattle sound.

not sure why the sounds gone have you changed anything recently?

B

baynz

i think i know the sound you are on about as i noticed it with my car, its not the injectors as it comes from mare the manifold/air filter side of the engine. i dont know what it is mind, just have the same noise with mine.

S

silvialam

that clicking sound your talking about sounds like the fuel injectors to me... the injector make a slit clicking sound when you tap the gas pedal. vtc dont make any sound when activated. only when the VTC solenoid are worn they make a hugh rattle sound.

not sure why the sounds gone have you changed anything recently?
the clicking sound(from VTC solenoid) is just like fuel injectors sound. but the sound only appear when you tap on the gas paddel( engaged to first gear).

nope, i did not change anything recently, infact the VTC is still working fine according to my power FC commander and yet my dyno result looks perfect.

S

silvialam

i think i know the sound you are on about as i noticed it with my car, its not the injectors as it comes from mare the manifold/air filter side of the engine. i dont know what it is mind, just have the same noise with mine.

the clicking sound only appear when you engaged to first gear and tap on the gas paddel a little. sometimes is not noticable but when you pop up the hood you notice it.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
It could be the VVT (NVCS) solenoid or sprocket. The usually only rattles when you initially startup and the first time you set off in first.

S

silvialam

hmm, there is no rattle sound during a cold start or even after warming up and so. As far as i know the VTC/NVCS solenoid will have a 'click' sound when ever you tap on the gas paddel( you must engaged at least to 1st gear).

Have any of you guys notice this clicking sound before? I realize that the click sound is gone and according to my POWER FC COMMANDER, the VTC indicator shows 'on' when ever i tap on the gas paddel.

S

silvialam

Is there any ways that i can test the VTC solenoid to make sure it is in working condition or not? please show me the steps...

G

gunner93

Ta Nicely. Whats the "Prod.M/Y:9901-" for?

Ichi-go,

How does that get to solve my rattling noise?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
States the model dates the part relates to (i.e. Jan 1999 onwards in this case). In true Nissan style, the month and year format mismatches the format FAST states it should be listed... :p

A

Anubis

How do you know if just a sproket will fix the issue?
Mine has just started with the clicky in first gas tap.

Can i just change the sproket then?
How much for these things?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
As stated, I'd change the solenoid first, as they are a fraction of the cost of the sprocket.

In the last SXOC sprocket group buy, they cost ?270 shipped (AU$630). Ironically, they were supplied by Nissan Oz via an Aussie member. The price included Nissan discount for the GB (which was cheaper than the Perfectrun price).

There is a fitting guide on SXOC.

The solenoids cost around ?60 (AU$140 shipped via Perfectrun)

A

Anubis

Thanks for the info Nicely.
I'll grab the solenoid and see if i can find the fitting guide.