What's new

VTC Solenoid question

G

gunner93

Update :

This evening, I pulled out the solenoid valve's harness. There's a "U" clip holding it in place. Guess what I found? Its soaked with oil!!! :eek:

Was wondering how it get up to the harness in the first place???

The good news is when I got the car started, into 1st gear and released the clutch - walla... no more rattle!!! :D

Now I'm very sure its the solenoid valve like Nicely said! Thanks again! :wave:

My personal gratitude to Sillbeers whom had offered to get me a new valve! :thumbs: but I have got it ordered immediately from RHDJAPAN. Teh Tarik is still on me ... :)

G

gunner93

Finally this package I'd ordered from RHDJAPAN arrived yesterday...

The one on the top is my rattling Kouki. The bottom new Zenki valve...

Close-up on the valves differences. The new one is slightly longish with filter mesh as well...

Just a simple screw-on with a wrench and harness plug in. Will see how it starts up tomorrow. Fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
G

gunner93

Update :

My 13 month "cold-take-off-rattle" ordeal has finally come to an end this morning. :thumbs: The VTC solenoid valve is indeed the culprit in this case. :nod:

Thanks to everyone here for all your contributions... :notworthy:

Its a happy new year for me and my lightning bolt. Have a great new year ya all! :wave:

G

gunner93

Anubis,

Its screw-into the block near the first fuel injector looking inwards left of the valve cover. Just get the wires out of the way.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Good to see you fixed it.

G

gunner93

I'm tempted to give this one a try as well. heh mine sounds like tractor on startup
Hi Ichi-go, You can try disconnecting the harness to see if the rattling is caused by the valve or not. Some rattling may not be caused by the valve. :) As Nicely mentioned, the valve is the easy one to get at first.

H

HIGHFIVEBETA

Would anybody know if replacing the solenoid with the Zenki one would potentially fix the rattling due to the cause of an aftermarket valvetrain and not a OEM valvetrain higher mileage solenoid/sprocket combo?

My rattling is horrible!

D

davib

sorry for reviving an old thread
but can someone help me remove the vct solenoid ?
i cant seem to get the electrical plug off !

D

davib

thanks for that !!!
finally off
cleaning it

did your rattle come back gunner
after 3 years ?

G

gunner93

thanks for that !!!
finally off
cleaning it

did your rattle come back gunner
after 3 years ?
Happy to say that no more rattle ever since. :nod:

I remembered the "C" clip well because when I pried it out, it flew into the air and into the engine bay somewhere and it took me a very long time to search for it! :rotfl:

D

davib

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that part how it flew

that happened to me!!!!!
but i caught it,

well i have the same issue as you atm,
clutch first gear, peddal and little rattle.

just to clarify, did u test it by unplugging and then taking off to see if it rattles?

G

gunner93

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that part how it flew

that happened to me!!!!!
but i caught it,

well i have the same issue as you atm,
clutch first gear, peddal and little rattle.

just to clarify, did u test it by unplugging and then taking off to see if it rattles?
Precisely. After unplugging the solenoid harness, the rattling disappeared. Very simple to replace the solenoid as Nicely said, its the first low cost fix. If the rattling persist after this, it could be the VTC sprocket and will be a bigger job.

D

davib

question,
i think the rattle disappeared when i hit the throttle
will confirm this ...

but do you still hear rattle even though you disconnected it ??

G

gunner93

question,
i think the rattle disappeared when i hit the throttle
will confirm this ...

but do you still hear rattle even though you disconnected it ??
Yep, the rattling gets louder by the months and is the loudest during idle. Certain RPM it softens or drowned out. The rattling will not be heard after disconnecting the VTC harness.