What's new

after market brake discs

S

S1Five

hey all,

my front brake discs are gone pretty soon and wanted to do a bit of research before i made the purchase. i went to nissan in australia to ask about stock replacements and they cost 260 each roughly for the front.

i was like wot the hell.. so pricey i mite as well go aftermarket

having 17inch rims and im sure some of you know this too, the stock brake discs are tiny within the rim.

so the question is - when you buy aftermarket brake discs, can you actually buy larger ones to fit the stock caliper?

from wot i know you can but you need to re-do the brakets?

SO if i dont want to do any modification i will have to buy back the same size as the stock is this correct?

lastly which one would you guys recommend. i need it for a few trackdays a year. im looking towards endless to go with my new brake pads (endless ccx type r)

thx in advance

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You can buy kits which come with adapter brackets and larger discs which will use your existing callipers :thumbs:

Not sure what's available in Oz, but we have a good choice from our UK suppliers. Anything from 310mm to 345mm. 310 and 315mm would be ideal. You can check out my tech guide for fitting a 315mm kit to show how straightforward it is. I have since changed to a 345mm kit, which required 18" alloys and R32GTR callipers.

Reaction score
Country
Pretty sure you can get it customised or made up. Have read up on it on SAU. But for the hassle, I reckon you should just swap to R33 front calipers(they are pretty damn cheap, can be had for A$150 and just recondition them before you put it back on). They can accomodate larger rotors stock and will be a decent upgrade... plug and play too. R34 front calipers need some modifications as the bolt size is 14mm whereas s15/r33 is 13mm.

S

S1Five

thx for that! but not looking to upgrade calipers yet dont have the need for my speed around the track hehe

just wondering so has anyone bought any aftermarket disc to replace their stock ones? (so same size as stock)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
'Upgrading' discs to ones the same size is a fairly pointless exercise. Getting decent pads will have a much better result.

There is absolutely no need to change the callipers on kits up to 324mm. The standard callipers are actually very good and totally up to coping with a disc size upgrade :thumbs:

S

S1Five

yea but if you remember reading my original post, my front ones are dying and the cost of getting the standard ones is quite expensive..

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Ah, right. Well, if you don't want a disc size upgrade (really worth it), a set of grooved discs run with some good pads (e.g. Ferodo DS2500s) would see you fine :)

315mm kits cost ?180 (AU$440) for plain discs and ?230 (AU$560) for grooved and drilled in the UK. Just to let you do a price comparison... :) And I'd be surprised if you couldn't get cheaper in Oz.... :nod:

S

S1Five

hehe i just finished trying DS2500s on my previous pads, very good pads

but im using endless ccx now - just went to a trackday with them, they held very well if not better than the ds2500

hmm upgrade larger disc or not !! grr

A

ANDYX

Hi, I Have An Absurd Question Maybe...
Can I Put The Front Discs And Calipers On The Rear??
I?m Asking That Because I?m Going To Upgrade My Front Discs And Calipers For A Bigger Ones. My Spec S Have 2 Piston Calipers On The Front.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
They aren't a straight swap :no: You have to remember that the handbrake is incorporated into the rear callipers. To effeciently upgrade the rears, you need to install an independent handbrake/disc brake setup such as a Z32 conversion.

The Spec R front discs and callipers are a direct swap on the Spec S fronts though :)

T

tass15

S1five - i can get you the contact details for a guy that sells a calliper relocation kit, it allows you to keep stock callipers, but run a bigger disk.

to put the front callipers etc on the back you would need some way to adjust the brake bias further forward, otherwise you would lock up back brakes all the time.

P

Paul D

Where's the best place to get the 315mm brake kit and do you just use the original size pads for the calipers?

P

Paul D

Doh! Im plannibng for early next year. i've got brake judder so need to get them sorted. Also i need rear camber arms to sort my tyre wear

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I could have some Dano Design rear camber arms going for cheap if you like? They have a silver coating with the usual stone chip marks. PM me if your interested.

d.

Reaction score
would R33 gtst front brakes be a worthwhile upgrade from stock on an ADM S15? how do they compare weightwise and do they fit beneath the stock rims?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
R33 gtst brakes take bigger disc but I'm not sure if they are made of aluminium for lighter weight like the z32 4pot
I beliave they are.
The stock brake discs are a bit bigger too.
296mm on the R33 and 280mm on the S15.

Oh, and the Z32 was sold with both aluminium and cast iron brake calipers.