What's new

Does your oil filter look like this?

G

gunner93

This is my second change at 3500 miles using 5W40 synthetic oil. Look closely at the +40micron crap.

If you are up to it, dont throw away your filter in your next oil change. Open it up at the base. Be careful of oil spillage. Share it here... thanks.

Last edited:
T

tass15

thats plain nasty! in the 6 years i've been a mechanic, i never seen a filter like that before even on dozers at landfill sites. have a look for any leaks on the intake piping, do you drive on gravel roads much? who/where did the last oil change, what sort of filter are you running? if a foam pod, scrap it n get a paper pod, foam filters lick scrotum, i ran them on mx race bikes and you always had stuff get sucked thru.

G

gunner93

tass15,

I was shocked myself.

1) No leakage as far as boost readings are concern.
2) 99% on normal asphalt road.
3) Using a K&N panel filter.
4) Last oil change was 3,500 miles ago at a garage.

I've opened up filters from my NA cars eg CRV, Sentra, MIRA at 10,000km and I dont see stuff like these at the back of the filters.

T

tass15

check that all hoses/pipes are tight, only takes 5 mins, maybe even pull of turbo suction pipe, see if theres crap sitting in there. also, wnen was the last time you cleaned and re oiled the kn filter?

G

gunner93

Hoses seem tight allright. I wash the filter every 10k km. Looks ok, although its due in a little while. Close inspection on the filter show shiny metal particles trapped between the folds of the element visible to the naked eye... eventhough I hardly go on wot??? Very disturbing!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Just to clairfy...is that only external contaniments which have gotten into the oil ? No chance of any of it being caused by wear on any of the internals ?

Looks kinda worrying, would an oil flush, then re-oil help ?

G

gunner93

Would an oil flush, then re-oil help ?
Hi JEZ, Whats re-oil?

When I took delivery of the car, I replaced the oil and took the filter apart. It had similar visible sediments too. Pic here :

http://gunner93.multiply.com/photos/photo/20/5

I let it go since I had no service record history of the car. Now after just 3,500miles, I was disturbed when I saw similar crap in there. I was curious whether its common for a turbo engine to have this amount of visible sediments trapped in the filter? It would be interesting to share it here for those who dont mind getting a bit greasy and I strongly encourage you to have a go at it.

Last edited:
S

sillbeers15

Gunner93,

Whad oil filter R U using?

Make sure U change it everytime U change yr oil.

Again, Nicely would disapprove me to be using TRUST oil filter instead of a normal Nissan Filter...hehee.

G

gunner93

Hi there Sillbeer,

Yep thats the common practise and I dont mind paying a few bucks more for ori filter.

S

sillbeers15

The dark particles left inside your oil filter will worry me more if it were metalic substances. Unfortunately, our block is alu alloy and the magnet test over the substances will not yield any result.

If it were just plain shoot, then it is your oil that broke down prematurely or it is the kalimantan caused bad air in KL these few months?

G

gunner93

:D:D:D Ha ha ha fortunately my S15 is not wearing surgical mask this year, thanks to the unexplanable mid year monsoon here.

I used Petronas Syntium 3000 5W40 which in my experience relatively turns black very rapidly after 3,000km. Either the detergent props are damn good or otherwise. I've spoken to some Petronas Lubricant Engineers on "exceeding API SM". They reaffirmed their claim and seem very proud with their formulation using both PAO & Ester combo. Not that I am patriotic or anything but its a complimentary pack from them. ;)

Last edited:
S

sillbeers15

Do not worry about oil turning dark. It is the oxdiation process that has taken place and nothing more.

3 months onwards and even my mileage is less than 150km, fully synthetic engine oil in my car turns dark.