What's new

SR20DET swap questions.

S

superbike81

I posted up a couple months back about getting an S15 once I arrived in Japan, well that didn't exactly work out. The bank said I didn't have enough credit history to get a loan, so I bought a 94 180sx for $1000 US.

The SR20DET and transmission are both in excellent condition in this car. I've begun modding it over the last couple weeks. I've got a bunch of stuff on order, just waiting for it to get here, Power FC, Nismo 740's, alcohol injection kit, Walbro fuel pump, Greddy Profec B SpecII, AEM Wideband, etc. Next up is the turbo (probably 2871R). The car already had basic mods like intake, exhaust, FMIC, suspension, etc installed when I bought it.

The Spec-S S15's here go for around $6000 US commonly, the average price of a Spec-R is in the $11k-$12k range.

I'm not looking to build a Spec-R replica, I understand that I won't have the chassis reinforcements and other extra good bits of the Spec-R. I just want my current stuff in a nicer looking car here sometime soon. So how difficult of a swap will this be if I completely strip my current 180 and transplant everything into the S15. I know certain bits won't work, like suspension, FMIC piping, exhaust, etc, but that's all stuff that could be easily re-sold, and upgraded on the 15 later, so I'm not too worried about that. The body of my 180 is kinda beat-up, needs paint, and needs a couple small dents taken out. I can probably get the amount I paid for the car back with parting the rest of it out.

Am I going to run into any special concerns swapping the S13 red-top and transmission into an S-15 Spec-S? I figure wiring issues will be non-existant, since I'll be using the complete harness from my car along with the Power FC, is this a correct assumption?

I won't be looking to do this for another 3 or 4 months anyways so I've got plenty of time to get the research done. I'd appreciate any advice.

I also know it would be easier to buy a Spec-R, but I'd rather not for two reasons, it's gonna be much more difficult to get a loan (more money) and I enjoy doing this kind of stuff, so it's not a big deal to me.

Thanks!
Jason