What's new

skimming the flywheel

C

cookie

Hi.

Think my clutch is about to go, where can i get the flywheel skimmed? APT could not find anywhere willing to do it when the current clutch was fitted.

Anyone have a spare flywheel?

C.

Last edited:
Reaction score
any engineering place would be able to do it, all you need is a milling machine. What i would consider is when you skim or mill it your weakening the material. To be safe i would confirm what is safe to remove first or go aftermarket

Reaction score
Country
^^ Especially on rwd cars since the gearbox is just next to you. If the flywheel decides to come out at 6000rpm, pray to god it's flying away from u

C

cookie

so i should buy another flywheel at ?1000 plus?, don't think so.

who else has changed clutch , did they change the flywheel as well or get it skimmed

C.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
New fly for ?1000? Where from? Abbey? :p My Nismo Super Coppermix clutch and fly, big slave, pivot and braided clutch line cost under ?700 delivered...

C

cookie

thought skimming was an acceptable practice.
I could just get the clutch changed without touching the fly i guess (as running out of cash thats what i will probably do)

C.

Reaction score
Your right, skimming the fly is acceptable. You should only need to take off a tiny amount. Most engineering places will do. You should be able to get them to do so a tiny amount at a time until its 'true'

T

tass15

dont quote me on this, but sometimes you cant skim a dual mass flywheel, i've had this problem with ford transits, its a pain, i'll be going lightened flywheel when my clutch crawls under a rock n dies

D

dns15

dont quote me on this, but sometimes you cant skim a dual mass flywheel, i've had this problem with ford transits, its a pain, i'll be going lightened flywheel when my clutch crawls under a rock n dies
same thoughts can anyone confirm this?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Just so i understand, if your clutch is going, what will skimming the flywheel do to help this problem?

C

cookie

the idea is that the flywheel is skimmed so its perfectly flat for the new clutch

C.