What's new

Urgent question re heat wrap

P

Paddy

i've just spent the last hour and a bit wrapping my type 2 minifold in heat wrap... started her up and after a min or two, white smoke started coming from the wrap. turned engine off and stood gaurd with extinguisher. is this normal burning in process or should i be very concerned?
Cheers Paddy

P

Paddy

phew... nice 1 mate... should i go out and rally it for a little while or just leave it run for few mins??

Reaction score
just let it run for a bit, no rallyin needed lol did you do the turbo elbow while you were at it?

P

Paddy

cool...
yeah bought the elbow at the same time as the manifold and i forgot to get heat wrap (which was smart :) ), elbow wasnt a great fit wit the factory front pipe, heard blowing and smelled exhaust gases, and the heat out of the manifold was mental. got a new front pipe and decat and heat wrap all at the same time to cut the costs and fix all the probs. i only got it fitted today during work and the heat wrap went on after i got home. hopefully i get a bit of performance now that my engine bay temps arent going to be so high!

G

gunner93

Normally the heat wraps should be soaked in water for a while to soften the material. This is to get a snug fit around the pipes. Its normal to get a burnt smell the first time you run it.

Reaction score
also makes your hands itch... it's like fibre glass... horrible stuff! lol

P

Paddy

How hard would it be to do the frontpipe in-situ, lying on the floor :wack: :D
Really easy! :wack: just jacked it up. once you get past the elbow it's just loops.

I got the whole manifold, elbow and half the front pipe in one go, no cutting :thumbs:.

Yeah, itchy stuff... i think that it has metal flakes or something in it, felt as if i had splinters all over, in my eyes and mouth too! :hurl:

P

Paddy

i got it from someone in the west of ireland... probably not the most convenient for you tho... 10 meters did an exhaust, elbow and half the front pipe, but i was a bit wasteful with it.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Cool, i'll try get some, plan to do the Frontpipe at the moment, maybe the elbow at a later date.

P

Paddy

Cool, i'll try get some, plan to do the Frontpipe at the moment, maybe the elbow at a later date.
Should probably do the two at the same time... the elbow would be a little hotter then the front pipe and might need it more... plus they're right next to each other! :nod:
The sensor port on the elbow makes it really handy to locate the first loop of the heat wrap too