What's new

gt28rs vs gt3071r turbo

T

tass15

looking at upgrading my turbo from stock t28bb, i have a 5000km old gt28rs disco potato sitting on the bench from a mates car in good nick, but i'm leaning towards getting some decent kw(250-270) out of my motor with step 2 cams, thicker head gasket etc, so i was thinking of selling both stock and disco, and go for the gt3071r internal gate, straight fit monster:notworthy:. which do you think would be better? any experiences or dyno sheets for both?
Thanks for any info you guys can give

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I dont know much about different turbos, but i dont think the GT28RS would be much of an upgrade over your current T28bb :no:, I have however heard good things about the GT3071R. But as i've said i know nothing really :D

Reaction score
Country
If you are chasing 250-270rwkw, you are better off getting the 3071r. Dont think the GT28RS are capable of getting to 250-270rwkw. Might as well get something bigger and run less boost to get the numbers

S

sillbeers15

To me it is like woman asking her man if she should choose a short black number or a long bareback white gown to wear....

It all depends on the event for one to dress appropriately, correct?

So, your question about the choice between 3071 and disco photato is not complete. You intend to build a well balanced road car or a drag strip ganster?

If your answer is the first, you would be better of chooseing the disco photato and spend your spare cash beefing up your brakes and suspension to have a well balanced road car!

If you have drag strips in mind, a bigger turbo is alright as it will definitely spool up slower and pulls till redline before you could complete spelling the word Fantastic! But it would be difficult to make it a fun drivable car for the public road.

T

tass15

i'm looking to make a fast road/club day car, i've already got a half decent suspension with some more bits in transit, n i've just about finished making up fibreglass funnels (3 1/2") for the front bar for brake ducting with rear ducting to come.

S

sillbeers15

There's no need to fabricate the front brake funnel / cold air ducting.

Nismo has such a part for S15, I've placed an order for it.

T

tass15

as nicely said, they are a rip off. i've done everything to my car, including pulling the radiator back 200mm to fit my cooler behind the radiator support panel, got custom stainless piping in the shed, waiting for my new tig welder. why pay heaps for something you can make with a bit of effert n $20. anyways, anymore input on the turbo would be great, i'm thinkin of gettin step 2 256 cams to try n keep response but flow power, anyone had experiance?

S

sillbeers15

Well, if you guys only look at the final bits of plastic and not the amount of test and design put in to make 'what looks simple' works!

I understand it was put up for sale after it was developed for track applications...its not some cheap brake caliper covers sort of stuff which you guys think!

T

tass15

i'll try n get some pictures up, i flipped
the cooler, atm its just all silicone bends n pipe, i just gotta get the money for some 316 supershineygrade stainless. still uses stock rad, stock clutch fan, and the best part is you cant even see it with the front bar on. open the bonnet n i usually get a major wtf from people lol.