What's new

head gasket, what thickness

T

tass15

hey all,
i'll be putting all my stckpile of parts in soon (cams, disco potato, 740's, RAS, n lotsa boost :D) i just need to know stock head gasket thickness, and what is the best thickness for aftermarket, probly tomei. its used as a semi daily so i dont want to loose too much throttle response. any help you guys can give would be tops.

thanks Dave

S

sillbeers15

In the aftermarket MH gasket choice, you get from 1.1mm to 1.8mm for the SR20DET.
Different thickness differs compression ratio to the engine.

So choose the compression ratio you prefer.

1.2mm thickness maintains the same compression ratio. Make sure you ask for the torque setting pattern from the MH gasket maker. It is necessary for you to advice your mechanic on the torque setting pattern when he assembles back the head to the block. It differs from the stock SR20DET manual as the stock head gasket is made of paper material!

I got my 1.2mm metal head gasket from HKS, so HKS japan supplier me the torque setting pattern when I asked for it.

T

tass15

no worrys, i'll be fitting it my self, being a mechanic with all the gear kicks ass lol. just wasnt sure of stock thickness, thank for the help sill
beers. just out of curiosity, are there any other weak parts in the sr20 head that are worth replacing while head is off, i'll be fitting head gasket, cams, injectors, RAS, turbo, braided lines, pfc n maybe studs. anything else worth doing, i want to do it once and once only lol.

S

sillbeers15

I think there is a additional part call the arms stopper. It is a strip of metal bolted above the valve spring stopper arms. It is to prevent loose arms at high rev....I did not install that stuff as I limit my redline to 7200rpm.

Reaction score
Country
sorry for bringing up the thread.

if my setup is

Tomei Poncams 256/256
Tomei 86.5mm piston
Tomei m7960 Turbo.

which gasket shld i choose?

and what if i installed the Oversized valve?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
dont forget if you want to maintain compression ratios that you will need to factor in the amount taken off the head or block when either are skimmed.....i went for 1.8mm mhg on the reccommendation of the tuner. this is with 256/256 cams, 2871r and 740cc injectors etc.....running over 350hp and 350ib/ft of torque :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
no but a skim may take away .1mm thickness etc....if you then fit a 1.2mm gasket under squish it will be 1.1 etc

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
no worrys, i'll be fitting it my self, being a mechanic with all the gear kicks ass lol. just wasnt sure of stock thickness, thank for the help sill
beers. just out of curiosity, are there any other weak parts in the sr20 head that are worth replacing while head is off, i'll be fitting head gasket, cams, injectors, RAS, turbo, braided lines, pfc n maybe studs. anything else worth doing, i want to do it once and once only lol.
rocker arms are known to break but only if you cane the engine to death (high revs) but not a weakness per se. you may as well do the valve springs and retainers while youre there