Heat Shield For Air Filter

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hi peeps :wave:

Anyone bought or got a heat shield fabricated to keep the air induction kit filter cooler?

I want this to be one of the first performance related mods I get done before turbo elbow/downpipe, front pipe and de-cat etc.

If anyone's got pics so I can at least see how this is best done then that would be grand... :thumbs:

Cheers,

James

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
To be honest, unless you're running some significant under bonnet temperatures, its not going to make that much difference. Much better to work out how to get more air to the filter... :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Thanks for the help guys :thumbs:

Nicely, to improve air-flow, would something like the Garage Defend GT cooling plate (CF panel on front of engine bay) help or do I have to do something more drastic like fit tubing under the n/s wing/front bumper to feed more air?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Where are the figures? I ran one of these on the S14, as have a number of people on SXOC. Unless you are running without mani heat shields (particularly with a tubular mani) the difference isn't worth the cost or hassle. You would achieve more by adding an air duct in the bumper and piping it under or in front of the filter. However, ducting air AND having an induction box/shield WOULD make some difference.

This is based on UK climate. It might be different for the guys in hotter climates :)

A cooling panel increases air flow through the FMIC/rad/AC. It doesn't effect the filter.

S

sillbeers15

The Garage Defend cooling plate (see photo in my earlier post) is good to direct all air to Intercooler and radiator. Cold air intake should be routed from bumper left air scoop inside the left air vent on bumper. I've made a vent to direct air from there to my air filter via the stock intercooler piping hole in chassis.

Last edited:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers for the advice.

I will look into ducting some air from the front left of the bumper for now. GT cooling panel can be left until I get FMIC etc.

:nod:

S

sillbeers15

where you get the mani/abs heat sheild?? - Raytsang
The CF covers come as a set of Left (airfilter) and right (battery cover) from http://www.topstage.com and the heatshield divider was a DIY item based on the template offered by the website posted earlier and fabricated out of actual heatshield material of medium density foam sanwiched in aluminium corrugated sheets. In between these foam, there is a perforated sheet metal that could hold its shape in place.

G

gunner93

Cold air intake should be routed from bumper left air scoop inside the left air vent on bumper. I've made a vent to direct air from there to my air filter via the stock intercooler piping hole in chassis.
sillbeers15,

Is there a photo on the ducting through the IC hole in the chassis? Whats the diameter of the duct to go through? I'd imagine its less than 2 inch dia.

S

sillbeers15

The stock IC piping leaves behind a hole about 2" in diameter directly below the aftermarket airfilter location.

I do not have a pic. of the scoop/deflector I've fabricated and fitted below the said hole. The deflector is mounted below and behind the hole to direct air up into the airfilter location via front bumper left air vent when the car is in motion.

Alternatively is to extend the air filter below the hole to position it just behind the left air vent, but you can run the risk of sucking up water splashed from the tarmac during our monsoon season.

Btw, i don't drive my S15 in the rain anymore! this is to maintain a spotless undercarriage....

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
That's pretty much how mine is ducted. :)

It is a VERY bad idea to put your filter directly behind the bumper scoop on a road car. Water entering your engine isn't a good move... :no:

I'd be temped to get one of those Topstage boxes to go with my ducting. Unfortunately, like most of them, they are designed with the original air intake and AFM in mind. Impossible to fit with a Z32 AFM and custom intake pipe.

Your link reminded me that I'd requested a shipped price for the AFM shield off them, but hadn't got a reply.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Planning to duct mine soon once i get the intake pipework sorted :rolleyes:. Will have a read throught he links see if i can make something from there :thumbs:

Could a flexi pipe ducting through the stock IC hole to the filter, with small holes in the pipe help to reduce the water ingress?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
An S bend in the flexi pipe should stop the water. Just add a couple of small drain holes in the bottom of the S.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Bit like the waste from your toilet :thumbs:, or anyone elses for that matter :D

Anyone know how big the hole is for the stock IC pipework?