What's new

Heat Shield For Air Filter

S

sillbeers15

I'd be temped to get one of those Topstage boxes to go with my ducting. Unfortunately, like most of them, they are designed with the original air intake and AFM in mind. Impossible to fit with a Z32 AFM and custom intake pipe. - Nicely
I'm using the Apexi Z32 AFM (with Z32 AFM) Kit for S15, that was why I took the DIY route to get my own heatshield instead of buying one off the shelve for S15's AFM.

Since I DIY the installation of my PFC, boost control kit, Z32 AFM + airfilter kit, HKS Fan controller + 2 speed S14 electric fan (export model) + manual fan switch......the heatshield fabrication was no big deal.

Reaction score
Country
I'm using the Apexi Z32 AFM (with Z32 AFM) Kit for S15, that was why I took the DIY route to get my own heatshield instead of buying one off the shelve for S15's AFM.

Since I DIY the installation of my PFC, boost control kit, Z32 AFM + airfilter kit, HKS Fan controller + 2 speed S14 electric fan (export model) + manual fan switch......the heatshield fabrication was no big deal.
You can request Freddy(topstage owner) to give you a blank side or either precut for Z32 afm/ s15 afm. That way, you can cut whatever size you want.

S

sillbeers15

You can request Freddy(topstage owner) to give you a blank side or either precut for Z32 afm/ s15 afm. That way, you can cut whatever size you want.- Ichi-go
I believe i was one of the earlier ones who got the heat shield from Freedy (2-3 years ago). When I enquired about the stuff from Freddy, there were only left and right CF covers in the package. Freddy's only offer to me were the CF trim pattern of my choice. I selected the ones to match my Garage Defend cooling pannel.

G

gunner93

An S bend in the flexi pipe should stop the water. Just add a couple of small drain holes in the bottom of the S.
Looking the the limited space, I cant imagine how I can fit an "S" bend there which is a luxury really LOL. :wack: My FMIC shared hole is just less than 2" dia. I may have to use to 2" canvass/fabric to connect through this hole. Any better materials you can help me with? :rotfl:

Reaction score
Country
And the Topstage filter enclosure can either be fully enclosed or has an opening for the snorkel. I reckon the fully enclosed would be nice

S

sillbeers15

Gunner93,

You should have a spare hole that is bigger than the 'shared hole' with your FMIC piping cause the stock IC is side mounted. Since your FMIC now takes less one hole as the stock IC requird 2 holes access (one for in and other for out). You should use the spare hole and route a fatter cold air pipe!

Are U on site now? I'm in Malaysia now!

Last edited:
G

gunner93

Gunner93,

You should have a spare hole that is bigger than the 'shared hole' with your FMIC piping cause the stock IC is side mounted. Since your FMIC now takes less one hole as the stock IC requird 2 holes access (one for in and other for out). You should use the spare hole and route a fatter cold air pipe!

Are U on site now? I'm in Malaysia now!
Hi sillbeers15,

I have considered routing through the stock IC hole at the side but the bends makes it almost impossible to fit, if at all, it would be a smaller dia pipe. Another option as Nicely suggested is through the back of the head lamps but the gap is also very tiny.

I was adviced to cover up the remaining gaps in the box to create an "ram-air" effect but I may loose the flexibility to pull the pipe out if I'm driving on rainy weather.

Which part of KL are you in? I am working in Subang. Why dont we meet up if you can get to Sunway. I'm contactable at 012-292 8812. Bring your monster as well... :nod:

Last edited:
S

sillbeers15

Hi Gunner93,

Thanks for your warm invitation! Unfortunately I'm in Penang now. I'm just here for 3 days to meet up with my software team over some development schedule issues.

I'll take a rain checque and ring you when I'm next going to be in KL!

Btw i drove up to KL sometime ago to have my door sills and b pillars filled up with high expansion foam as I could not find such service provider in Sing.

G

gunner93

Sillbeers15,

No worries. I presume you had your AF done in KL Auto?

S

sillbeers15

Hi Gunner93,

Yeap, they were the ones that did the expansion foam job for me.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
.............Btw i drove up to KL sometime ago to have my door sills and b pillars filled up with high expansion foam as I could not find such service provider in Sing.
Interesting, please tell us more :thumbs:

Nice write up Gunner, do you expect alot of water to get up the pipe?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Sounds good, i'd be more interested in it keeping out mositure/dirt than anything else.

Where does it get applied? I.e., doors sills, chassis legs?

S

sillbeers15

My experience with the high expansion foam filling door sills have been a positive one. I can tell the difference when I drive up a slope diagonally before and after foaming. After foaming my inner rear wheel lifts off the ground after I reach the top of the slope.

After foaming, bracing (front wheel arch, rear passenger floor and rear wheel arch) and adjustable arms, front lower arm, rear a-arms and power brace on my car, I can clearly feel that my coilovers working harder as my car flexes less now.

Damn it! It is now available in Sing....I had to drive for 2 hours across the Mayalsian border to get my done 2 years ago.:cry:

With corner weight balancing done recently, my project on suspension tuning is completed.:D

S

SX2002

I made mine from stainless steel. Much better for deflecting and not absorbing heat.
I retained the original air trumpet so it has a cold air feed...don't know the advantages performance wise, but it has to be better than nothing!
Just out of interest, I had my car on the dyno before and after fitting my K&N and was surprised to find a 13kW ATW improvement. Not bad for $109AUD!
We didn't believe it at first, so did a second run, same result. A few of my mates still didn't believe it so they went down to RPM (Adelaide) and had theirs checked...all were about the same.

G

gunner93

I made mine from stainless steel. Much better for deflecting and not absorbing heat.
I retained the original air trumpet so it has a cold air feed...don't know the advantages performance wise, but it has to be better than nothing!
Just out of interest, I had my car on the dyno before and after fitting my K&N and was surprised to find a 13kW ATW improvement. Not bad for $109AUD!
We didn't believe it at first, so did a second run, same result. A few of my mates still didn't believe it so they went down to RPM (Adelaide) and had theirs checked...all were about the same.

Hi SX2002,

Spick & Span there in the bay. :thumbs:

Most often we cant retain original trumpet with FMIC plumbing in the way. :no:

The dyno results were really encouraging. You may get a tad more by reflashing a more linear AF across the band. :nod:

Update : I was told to reset the ECU after this mod buy pulling out the negative connector on the battery. Also an advice to cover up the remaining hole on the air box to create a "ram air" effect.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Thats what i plan to make, but out of heatshileding material, i also have the stock trumpet which should help, along with a feed through the stock IC pipework hole. Just need to get a turbo to Z32 AFM pipe soted 1st :rolleyes:

SX2002 - do you have a template of your sheild?