What's new

S15 Spec R From 6 Speed to 5 Speed

T

Twincam16

Hello lads,
Could you tell me please if the S13 or S14 5 speed gearbox will bolt up to the SR20DET in an S15 without much bother as Im thinking about changing it.
Thanks
Sean

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Personally speaking, and having owned an S14 and S15, I much prefer the six speed box. However, I'd have thought the S14 box would bolt straight on.

T

Twincam16

Thanks for the quick reply Nicely !
I like the 6 speed as well but Im building an S15 for drifting next year and I would prefer the 5 speed for that,and they feel a bit stronger than the 6 speed as well
Thanks
Sean

B

Brad

Myth. I wish I had taken pictures of my box when it was apart but I can vouch that they gears and synchro assembly on the S15 are marginally better than on an S14a. Even comparing the parts that fell out of my box, compared to my mates S14a that blew about 6 weeks ago you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

The only issue with the S15 box is the circlip on the 3/4th counter gear. It will slip and blow 3rd or 4th and take the input/output shaft as well as all the bearings in the box with it. My advice would be to use a pressure plate with as close to stock clamping pressure as possible, and rather than a brand new box get someone to crack the 6-speed open, inspect all the tolerances and fix the circlip issue by either replacing the clip and grinding the retainer gap down slightly so it wont move, or welding it in.

The 6-speed definately has better ratios for drifting too :)

Brad.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I think you'll have to get a new flywheel and clutch if you swap for the S14 box.

Personally I like the S15 box.
I know of a guy in Norway who will use the OS-Giken gearset.
Will talk to him later after he has used it some time to have his thoughts about it. There is another Norweigian guy running a HKS box. But I will not be able to afford that..... EVER :)
Damn Norweigian oil. Makes me jelous ;)

But it's a long way until I get there.

T

Twincam16

One of the other guys drifting an S15 over here was telling me that he is changing his box to an OS Giken 6 speed and they are not cheap :eek:
One other question....if you can help out lads,is it possible to fit the Tomei rocker arm stopper to the S15 engine or is it different with the vvt ?
Thanks
Sean

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Twincam16 said:
One of the other guys drifting an S15 over here was telling me that he is changing his box to an OS Giken 6 speed and they are not cheap :eek:
One other question....if you can help out lads,is it possible to fit the Tomei rocker arm stopper to the S15 engine or is it different with the vvt ?
Thanks
Sean
I think it's cheaper then the HKS 6-speed box, but still not cheap. :wave: The gearset is much cheaper then a complete gearbox. But then there is fitting cost which I have no idea how much it could be.
Not really sure if it takes care of the circlip problem (As I don't know what the circlip is) but I think it should.

Some info about the rocker arm stopper

Brand Tomei

Category Engine

In the SR engine, When the situation arises when the engine revs over 7000rpm while on a circuit run or drag racing, or over-rev from miss shifting will sometimes lead the tappet side of the rocker arm fulcrum to jump, and the rocker arm to come off. The Rocker arm stopper is the part which holds the lash adjuster side of Rocker arm with fixed clearance, controls the deflection of Rocker arm when jumping occurrs, and protects the engine from damage.

Notes
- Set of each IN and EX
- Head cover modification may needed to some model
- Cannot be used with VVL
- Available with Solid pivot type cam
- Matarial SPCC(steel) chromate coated
- Spacer included
Nicely said:
Sorry, I'd assumed that that would be included in the 'straight swap'.
Just wanted to clarify :wave: :thumbs:

S

S15R

a friend of mine been drifting his s15 for like 5 years with stock 6 spd and the car is still in good condition, it depends on how you drift if you kick clutch all the time then stock box wont last long

btw he won the 2nd place in CHCH D1NZ

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I think its another one of these heresay-turns-to-speculation-turns-to-rumour-turns-to-fact things. Just like the ceramic turbos...

Even if it was a problem, I'd be inclined to wait to see if it goes. You wouldn't change half-used tyres just because they're going to go bald at some point...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Looking at the pics of his car, why do a strawberry conversion then take most of the picture of the rear?? :rolleyes: