What's new

aftermarket diff oil

Reaction score
im considering changing the diff oil when i get the car back and am wondering what oil to use? Im not sure what make of diff is in the car but its a 1.5way aftermarket diff. What viscosity and standard should i use? any ideas?

Reaction score
cool where can i lay my grubby lil paws on some and can you recommend an alternative? also what viscosity is the redline that your using?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Fine. I'm not saying its really thick. I just meant that it seems really thick out of the bottle. That and the fact that its bright red... :p

G

gunner93

In fact I am using Motul 80W140 and my rear wheels turns a bit tightly which I suspect may be due to the viscosity...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The Redline marketing blurb for the Heavy Shockproof says:

A unique lubricant containing a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent--unique solid dispersion which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities. Recommended for heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, Off Road racing and problem gearboxes. The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throwoff and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90.
This is for diff only. It shouldn't go in a gearbox :no:

S

sillbeers15

The diff oil for clutch type (most aftermarket LSDs) and gear type (stock S15 LSD) LSDs require totally different oil.

They're not interchangable!

Read instructions on oil container and diff manufacturer receooemdation before making decision on what oil to go for before regretting over a silly mistake.

I run the stock helical LSD....so my choice is Motul gear 300.

Reaction score
Country
The diff oil for clutch type (most aftermarket LSDs) and gear type (stock S15 LSD) LSDs require totally different oil.

They're not interchangable!

Read instructions on oil container and diff manufacturer receooemdation before making decision on what oil to go for before regretting over a silly mistake.

I run the stock helical LSD....so my choice is Motul gear 300.
According to motul website, Motul gear300 is not supposed to be used with LSD. But I just bought some motul gear300 for my 2way lsd. The one I'm currently using is Mobil1 which has viscosity 80w140 which is pretty thick. Waiting to change to gear300 and see if it's any good.

S

sillbeers15

Below information is cut and paste directly from Motul website.

If you apply it onto clutch type LSD (2way..), just wait for the bomb to explode....hehee.

It is on the otherhand safe to apply to gear type LSD as indicated in S15 owners' manual to use GL4, GL5 gearoil.

GEAR 300

75W-90

Ester-based and 100% synthetic, GEAR 300 is formulated for gearboxes and rear axles,
especially for competition cars - racing circuit, rallies and endurance trails. GEAR 300 is test proven effective to extreme pressure resistance
in all types of cars and under all types of uses.
GEAR 300 extremely high lubricity reduces friction. It also offers anti-wear, anti-corrosion and
anti-foam capabilities.

SPECIFICATIONS

Product GEAR 300

Feature 100% synthetic, ester-based. Easy gear shift properties. High lubricating abilities.

SAE/DOT Standard 75W-90

Specification API GL4/GL5 & MIL-L-2105D

Maker's Approval —

Compatibility All gearboxes & hypoid rear axles without LSD. All types of cars - circuit, rally, 4wd & passenger.

Last edited: