What's new

aftermarket diff oil

S

sillbeers15

There is a great difference between between Clutch type LSDs and other types of LSD....namely:

1. gear type (helical).....in S15s to 911s
2. Viscous type.............in S14s.

For clutch type LSDs you need modifier in the lub. Thats why LSD oil and gear box oil differ (other than viscosity differences).

Strictly speaking...1 way, 1.5 way and 2 way LSDs are not recommended for road application as race cars care less about turning tight corners while a typical papa mama car is designed to turn corners smoothly so there is such an invention called differentials.....LSDs or limited slip differentials are halfway houses for sporty driving cars.
Again....clutch type LSDs are for track applications!....

Reaction score
Country
there was also a new oil just out when I bought the 90PA.
but it was over 150% more expensive :(

http://www.boove.se/images/addin_0504_gearff.pdf
Paste from Motul.com.au

GEAR FF-LSD TYPE 2
75W-90
GEAR FF-LSD TYPE 2 75W-90 is a special designed for FF (Front-engine / Front- drive) type transmission with mechanical LSD (Limited Slip Differential) system cars. 100% synthetic with complex ester. Suitable for all transmission (synchronized or non–synchronized), 6-speed transmission, gearbox with differential, transfer gearbox and hypoid differentials with or without LSD.
SPECIFICATIONS

Product GEAR FF-LSD TYPE 2

Feature Excellent fluidity at low temperature and stable thermal stability at high temperature. Smooth gear shifting and appropriate and torque transferring on LSD.

SAE/DOT Standard 75W-90

Specification API GL-5

Maker's Approval —

Compatibility Suitable for all transmission (synchronized or non–synchronized), 6-speed transmission, gearbox with differential, transfer gearbox and hypoid differentials with or without LSD. All types of cars. Circuit, Group A, Gymkhana, Tuned,4WD.

It's abit misleading as it says it's specially designed for FF cars. But the bottom, tuned and 4wd... ?!?!?

sillbeers15,

Do you have the stock lsd or aftermarket? Not sure if the gear300 is ok for my 2way.

Last edited:
S

sillbeers15

sillbeers15,

Do you have the stock lsd or aftermarket? Not sure if the gear300 is ok for my 2way. - ichi-go
I have the stock S15 Helical LSD and I am sticking to it for road applications.

If you have the 2way LSD that 'clicks' when you do tight bends. You have the clutch type LSD and you need LSD specific gear oil.

Kaaz and Cusco makes these oil, I've seen them on Autobacs and Yellowhat shelves.....in Japan and Taipei.

G

gunner93

This may be a repeated q. In the S15 service manual it says use API GL-5 : Never use LSD exclusive gear oil. Use standard differential oil.

I suppose S15 helical LSD should use normal open differential axle oil then.

S

sillbeers15

Yea,...just any gear oil grade GL-5 as the stock LSD is helical gear type.

A bit of theory about differentials:

A differential was invented to allow two turning wheels to spin at different speed therefore a 4 wheel vehicle's back driving wheels can turn smoothly over a turn.
However in the event of a slip over the faster turning wheel will cause there to be a lost of control. Limited slip differential as the name implied allows certainly % of driving on the slower wheel thus makes it controllable on wheel slipping occations.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
So is this Lightweight shockproof stuff i keep hearing about the right type to put in the stock diff?

G

gunner93

The Motylgear I use for my diff is different. This was cut & paste trans from Jap :

MOTUL MOTYL GEAR 80W140SYNTHSE OIL 80W-140 for gearboxes and axles
[FONT=Osaka|]Chemosynthesis oil
For [giabotsukusu] diff.
[/FONT]

SPECIFICATIONS

Item name
MOTYLGEAR

Merit
[FONT=Osaka|][FONT=Osaka|]The chemosynthesis which designates the friction loss decrease of the gear box as purpose [FONT=Osaka|]Oil. It is superior in withstand load characteristic, it corresponds to the gear box where torque is imposed largely. For race/lace/rally and advanced sport cars.
[/FONT][/FONT]

SAE viscosity /DOT standard
80W140

Conformity standard
API GL4/GL5 & MIL-L-2105D

Manufacturer approval
?

Conformity
For heavy duty gear box and hypoid axle

[/FONT]