What's new

Cracked Subframe Mounts

S

sillbeers15

A recent casual discussion with a friend sparked my concern about cracks on subframe mounts.

I was told by this friend of mine that he had to sell off his much tracked E36 due to cracks found along subframe mounts (cracks happened at Chassis side).

My friend described having the sympthoms of knocking noise when his ride switches directions and under hard braking after a full throttle session.

So since many of us beef up our suspension and install subframe locks....will it cause the same problem?

Reaction score
Country
I've heard of very stiff suspension causing chassis to crack which I think is the same as what you said. This is due to the shock not absorbing most of the bumps transferring directly to the chassis with stiff suspension. And having too many reinforcements and a stock chassis(not seam welded etc) will cause that problem as well.

S

sillbeers15

seam welding is to reinforce factory spot weld joints.

It cannot reinforce a bolt joint between the chassis and subframe. This has to do with the original thickness of the steel at the bolt area.

Anyway I had my subframe joints inspected for cracks and loose bolt yesterday after posting the thread. Thankfully no such problems were found.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I get a cracking noise sometimes, when going stow mostly and coming off and back onto the throttle. No suspension parts knock or are loose. I have solid collars fitted, and beleive the noise to be diff knock. however, i may be wrong.

S

sillbeers15

These are the stuff that can freak me out!

Anyway i had my ride inspected and all turned out ok.

I've ordered Nismo bushes for the diff and PU one from SuperPro. I will decide which one to install after I receive them.

PU bushes seem like a better choice but I am also wary that the stress will be transmitted to the next weakest point....could it be the subframe mounted points???....will it induce cracks eventually???

So perhaps higher density rubber bushes from Nismo would be more suitable???

Gees,....its a tough decision to make.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If Topper's noise is the same as mine, its a knock rather than a cracking. Mine if definitely diff noise being transmitted through the chassis via the locking collars. Pineapples would almost for sure reduce the noise if it bothered.

J

j@garagemac

i have never heard of a silvia subframe cracking but its common as hell on e36 bm's

and if you seam weld silvia subframes they tend to warp in my experiance of building many drift nissans .

D

Derek

They can crack, I've seen it. I must actually post up pics of it..

J

j@garagemac

in the 6 years i been building drift cars i never seen it and i worked with the best drivers in the uk so they not shy on equiptment but thats not to say it dont happen .

S

sillbeers15

The noise I get is a loud clunk sometimes during hard acceleration.

If Troper and Nicely are right to say that the 'clunk' noise is from diff transmitted through subframe locks then I will report the difference after I install either PU mounts or Nismo mounts to replace the stock diff mounts.

I've ordered the following:
1. SuperPro PU diff mounts
2. Nismo diff mounts
3. Nismo transmission mount
4. Nismo engine mount (left + right)

Will decide to fit item 1 or 2 after I receive them.