What's new

Vibrating noise

J

jackie-trev

Does any body else get a really annoying vibrating noise from the lighting in the centre of the steering wheel at low revs? And ifso, what have you done about it?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Its the airbag/horn that rattles, there is a way of fixing it in a thread somewhere......

130r

I got it too after installed nismo engine / tran mount.
Above 2k rpm it disapear.

A

auxoura

Well if the lightning isnt there i guess there wont be any sound....bzzztt...zap zap..

My car makes a wierd rattling sound when i put high load on low revs....comes from the glove compartment.....wierd..

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Fit a Nismo Super Coppermix clutch and fly kit. You'll have so many noises you won't hear any others... :p

P

Paddy mack

i find myself driving around witha finger pushed against it helps, but really annoying how do i stop it don't want to remove the steering wheel

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
/\ /\ I do that too. Also get the vibrating from the passengers side :wave:, sounds a bit like the dash rubbing the A-Pillar

L

lj~R

i find myself driving around witha finger pushed against it helps, but really annoying how do i stop it don't want to remove the steering wheel
I got it too.
Fingers could help to stop the noise but sometimes I pushed to hard to make the horn :wack:
So now I just ignored it.

S

sillbeers15

Fit a Nismo Super Coppermix clutch and fly kit. You'll have so many noises you won't hear any others... Nicely
How about when you lift off your throttle while you cruise along in the 2000-3000rpm range?....do you get a symphony of rattles coming from your lighten flywheel?

I do. And I now understand why 12kg dual mass flywheel were installed in all 6 speed MT cars including M3s.

On the other hand, a lighten flywheel (7kg about) and light alloy wheels helps to compensate for poorer low end response contributed by big bore exhaust and upgraded turbo.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I like to listen out for noises, with your clutch, is it that bad that you wouldnt hear if soemthing fell off :wack:

Reaction score
I too had this and it p1ssed me off no end. It took me ages to track it down and fix it. Essentially the noisey steering rattle is the air bag module vibrating against the steering wheel shroud. You'll need to take the air bag unit off (there are funky star bolts holding it in place - but the bits are readily available in most tool kits) and then fit some spongy adhesive tape to the top of the airbag module. It's not hard to fix. Most of my time was finding out where the rattle was coming from. I spent ages test driving after securing various things!!!!

ps - disconnect the battery so you don't get accidentally decapitated by the airbag.

A

auxoura

what about the rattling sound from behind the glove compartment.....it makes a rattling sound when low rev on heavy load and heavy throttle...

could it be the manifold?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
There's a lot going on in the dash behind the glovebox. Could be worth taking a look to see if anything obvious is loose. If you've still got the original manifold, it could be the heat shield rattling.

G

gunner93

Yeah I had rusted heat shields on my old stock exhaust - rattles like crazy above 3000rpm.

A

auxoura

i shall take a look...lolz..

gunner: when do you want your rear skirts? lol...will call you tmr to meet up..