What's new

How to remove rear bumper

G

gunner93

Can anyone here show me how to remove S15 rear bumpers DIY? Thanks.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Good question, I tried a few weeks back, mine will be differetn from stock, but once i took all the obvious screws off and the bumper didnt come. May need to remove the lights?

Reaction score
Country
Here's what the user manual says:

REAR BUMPER ASSEMBLY
NMBT0005S01
1. Remove left and right rear wheel house finishers. Refer to “TRUNK ROOM TRIM”, BT-33.
2. Remove licence plate lamp. Then disconnect harness connectors.
3. Remove clips securing left and right chipping protectors.
4. Remove screws securing left and right rear fenders to bumper fascia.
5. Remove bolts and nuts securing left and right bumper fascia assemblies.
6. Remove clips securing bumper fascia assembly.
7. Extract bumper fascia assembly.
8. Remove screws securing licence plate lamp bracket, then remove the licence plate lamp bracket.
9. Remove clips securing left and right bumper side brackets, then remove the bumper side brackets.

Pic:

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
All the manuals are available in the Useful Threads announcement at the top of every forum section :)

G

gunner93

Got the rear bumper off and did some sound proofing. The space between the bumper and booth wall is like a resonance chamber. So I DIY some sika damp and Insulflex to fill the gap. Well, guess what, exhaust sound level reduced by about 15%. No much but it helps.

Step 1 : Sika Damp

Step 2 : Insulflex 1 in thick glued on with rubber adhesive

Step 3 : Insulflex on the bumper as well.

Yea yea yea... its amateur job but the sound level improved. Hey I'm smilin' !

Last edited:
G

gunner93

Just the booth here and Sikagard for the undercarriage. I have done both Sika Damp and autofoam on my the other Nissan B14

Reaction score
There are some key areas you have to deaden and block to reduce road noise.

The rear wheel arch areas are a must. And it's the foam like materials that insulate the noise.

I use dynamat extreme then dynaliner (foamy stuff). Just the deadeners do not reduce the noise much.

And about 2 layers on the outerskin.

Last edited:
G

gunner93

You are right. Rear wheel arch meaning under the plastic arch (just above the wheels) or in the interior with rear seats taken out?

Reaction score
Both.

I did the interior with rears seat out. Then the plastic compartment thing off. Then lined that with dynamat and dynaliner.

Reaction score
Country
I would have thought the exhaust noise would decrease after you do the entire boot. You even went with the rear bar. omg!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The rear noise from behind the back panel is greatly reduced compared to the S14. There isn't even a a pocket taking some of the noise on the S14. I've got a guide for the 14.

Reaction score
Because there's no pocket, you can essential stuff the hole with all the sound proofing materials you want. On the S15 however, you still had to worry about putting the trim back.

G

gunner93

I like the low drone of the Apexi N1 and the burble when off throttle but it really screams above 3000rpm - the entire cabin at times is deafening and my rear mirrors vibrates when it hits that high exhaust resonance. Sigh...