Stock clutch. How much power?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
How much could a stock S15 clutch cope with?
I've heard that the clutch on the S14 couldn't cope with much more then stock power.
But there are some S15 on this board with about 300-350hp.
Are you guys running the stock clutch or an aftermarket one?

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
I'll be running stock until it starts slipping, then I'll put the Exeddy R spec that I got off Greg (SXOC) in.
Ok. So yours is still fine. What power did you have on the fly? 320hp?

Seems like I shouldn't be worried later when the car comes out with all the mods then :)

S

S15R

hmm id say its ok upto 210+/-kwrw and it depends on what condition of the clutch and kms

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Sounds good.
So when the clutch needs replacing because of to much power, you should also start thinking of a upgraded gearbox i suppose.

P

paulphot

I wouldn't say that you need to save for an upgraded box just because the clutch is on the way out. Remember that the clutch is the weak link in the drivetrain and is meant to take most of the wear and abuse, thus saving the gearbox and diff etc. Just my opinion though.

K

KSW

My stock clutch was ok until i hit about 180 rwkw then it started slipping badly and had to change it.

Reaction score
i had 80kms on the clock and it starting slipping on boost. I changed it and realised it was the first clutch it had had. Put an Exedy paddle clutch in her. Now really good and can be given lots but in reality fitting the standard one would have been good for another 30-40kms I reckon. At least with the paddle you never smell it overheating and never have to worry about it. Makes for much more drifting fun too.

Do still get a little paddle judder sometimes though which is anoying

Reaction score
With a paddle clutch you can get an amount of judder as you don't have a complete 360deg contact. Rather you have 3 x 45deg - ish (in the exedy example) paddles. As these grip and slip then you get a slight judder. Basically its because there isn't much provision for slipping it.

With some paddle clutches it can be really bad. With the exedy one though its pretty good but you do still get it. Just need to change the way you drive a little. Its worse when the flywheel and input shaft have a low speed differential and on the S15 when changing down because of the dual mass flywheel I guess.