Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Liked
    Well, to be precise, it the torque rather than power. Apex's extreme organic clutches will take 450lb/ft. The extreme paddle clutches take 575lb/ft.

Generally, if you are going for quite high power, most people take the paddle route. My first S15 had a paddle and it annoyed the feck out of me...

Liked
    Will need to find a local SXOC member with a paddle clutch and give it a try

Liked
    A word of warning to those contemplating heavy clutches and still using the car as a daily drive.

One of the hierachy on SXOC (running a heavy clutch) has just discovered that the thrust bearings on his S14a are very badly worn due to the heavily sprung pressure plate putting them under excessive load. He reckons that too much driving round town, queueing in traffic, hill starts, etc. are contributing factors.

Oh, and the thrust bearings caused the crank to become mullered and possibly additional damage...

Liked
    Thrust bearings

Liked
    They encircle the crankshaft, keeping it in position.

Liked
    I'm running a stock clutch with 210rwkw (44K on clock) and only one problem - if I do a fast change from 1st to 2nd, the clutch will slip (like you're riding it). If I give it a slight hesitation - no probs. The clutch doesn't slip under any other conditions. Given that, I'd assume the standard clutch is still fine but on the limit of holding 210rwkw. Having sticky 245's on 9 inch rims doesn't help. Just remember the clutch is like a fuse, and should remain the weakest link in the driveline. This will ensure clutches slip before gearboxes go kablamo!
    What do you call a Rx7 with reliability, decent build quality and a better exhaust note? - a specR S15!

Jono Guest
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    A very sensible point, well said.