Stock clutch. How much power?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Couldn't explain the tech, but here's some pics.

Organic - heavier pedal, but still progressive and manageable

Paddle - heavy, sensitive pedal, takes getting used to the sudden bite (as in stalling frequently to start with).

Basically, if you use the car everyday and don't plan onrunning more than 310bhp at the wheels, get an organic.

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
oooh.. that's my 6 puck clutch disk... exactly that one :p

I'd agree with the above on getting used to though... a real pain in the .... when driving in heavy traffic especially on a hill.. basically letting off at anything less than about 2500 rpm with the 6 puck clutch and it will stall on my Z...

It was still my daily driver though, and it doesn't take long to get used to it... just remember to leave enough space in front before starting off :)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
So if you go above 310rwhp, do you have to go paddle, or are the organic ones that will take you past this stage

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Well, to be precise, it the torque rather than power. Apex's extreme organic clutches will take 450lb/ft. The extreme paddle clutches take 575lb/ft.

Generally, if you are going for quite high power, most people take the paddle route. My first S15 had a paddle and it annoyed the feck out of me...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
A word of warning to those contemplating heavy clutches and still using the car as a daily drive.

One of the hierachy on SXOC (running a heavy clutch) has just discovered that the thrust bearings on his S14a are very badly worn due to the heavily sprung pressure plate putting them under excessive load. He reckons that too much driving round town, queueing in traffic, hill starts, etc. are contributing factors.

Oh, and the thrust bearings caused the crank to become mullered and possibly additional damage...

Reaction score
I'm running a stock clutch with 210rwkw (44K on clock) and only one problem - if I do a fast change from 1st to 2nd, the clutch will slip (like you're riding it). If I give it a slight hesitation - no probs. The clutch doesn't slip under any other conditions. Given that, I'd assume the standard clutch is still fine but on the limit of holding 210rwkw. Having sticky 245's on 9 inch rims doesn't help. Just remember the clutch is like a fuse, and should remain the weakest link in the driveline. This will ensure clutches slip before gearboxes go kablamo!