What's new

Cross weight balancing

S

sillbeers15

I'm thinking of bringing my ride for cross weight balancing soon, any of you guys have done that? If so, how is the improvement in dynamic stability?

I resisted till not cause it will make the all the gaps between the wheel arch and wheel different........

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Why would it make the arch gaps different?

Also, i've been thinking of getting my car corner weighted, where are you having your carried out?

S

sillbeers15

Cross weight balancing is the ultimate suspension adjustment to acheive a equal response from throwing the car into a left corner or right corner such that no unwanted surprises will catch the driver off guard.
It is common to hear of cars not clearing "s" bends on track because the sudden dynamic changes from left to right bend confuses the driver.

So to acheive cross weight balance, 4 independent electronic weighting scales are required. If it is linked to a PC with a calculation software, it would make life simple. In theory,

Front left wheel weight + Driver + rear right wheel weight =
Front right wheel weight + rear left wheel weight.

So to acheive the above, adjustment to individual coilover height will tip and change the weight on each wheel. Adjustments will be made until the cross weight balance is acheived.

Similarly, front and rear weight bias can also be adjusted to acheive closest to ideal 55:45 weight distribution.

So I fear that my ride will look terrible after the 'ideal' height adjustments...haha.

130r

Just have car corner weight yesterday.
Make sure you will not have any further suspension mod to be done after corner weighting. The balance will be totally out.

Spent 3 hours and manage to get all 4 corner weight

FL FR
342 352

RL RR
277 277

F : 55% R 45%

and manage to get the cross weight within
50% range L : 49.6% R : 50.4%

and the car feel fantastic even before i have the alignment adjusted.
it was really balance, as it was raining heavily on my way back and can really feel the different before and after.
this is also a must for silvia suspension mod beside subframe locking bush.

I'm thinking of bringing my ride for cross weight balancing soon, any of you guys have done that? If so, how is the improvement in dynamic stability?

I resisted till not cause it will make the all the gaps between the wheel arch and wheel different........

S

sillbeers15

Gee..thanks, 130r. Your post gave me lots more confidence to carry out corner weight balancing on my ride.

I have gone to great length to beef up the suspension and improve the rigidity of my ride not to mention putting up with more NVH after installing the following:

1. Front strut brace (Cusco)
2. Rear strut brace (Cusco)
3. Passenger compartment brace (Do-Luck)
4. Foam filled side seals, B-pillars.
5. Front anti roll bar (Cusco)
6. Rear anti roll bar (Cusco)
7. Front power brace (Nismo)
8. Front tension rod (Cusco)
9. Front lower arm (Nismo)
10. Super tie rod end (Kazama)
11. Rear upper arm (Cusco)
12. Rear lower arm (Cusco)
13. Rear a-arm (Nismo)
14. Subframe lock (Kazama)
15. Brake stopper (Cusco)
16. Brake and Clutch padel assembly (Nismo)
17. coilovers (HKS Hipermax II )

Btw....shouldn't the driver weight be included while you do cross weight balancing? How are the wheel to wheel arch gaps (left compared to right)? lots of difference?

130r

Yes, the driver should be sitting inside the driver seat for the whoel process.
I was busy and have to leave the car at the workshop, it wasn't perfect, but it feels so much better then before. Actually my personal weight value was put into calculation during the adjustment. (I did stand on the scale before I left)
The mech pre adjust the car to a prefered height before adjsting the corss weights. I have 1" reach and 1-3/4 front gap.
Thats the lowest i can go in order to avoid scrapping my my front bumper.

Btw....shouldn't the driver weight be included while you do cross weight balancing? How are the wheel to wheel arch gaps (left compared to right)? lots of difference?[/QUOTE]

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Sounds good and interesting, i'd like to get mine setup like that, will have to find a local company that does it.

S

sillbeers15

Corner Weight Balancing Session

I've finally had the time to send my ride for corner weight balancing session 2 days ago.

My ride was with half tank full of petrol and included myself in the driver's seat to do the final corner weight balancing adjustment.

The weight of S15 (less driver) stands at 1280kg....300kg less than EVOs.

The front / back weight distribution is 53.5% / 46.5% on my ride.

The drive after the corner weight balancing was best described as 'very neutral' into bends....very easy to drive, less fight with the car.

S

sillbeers15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well how does the arces look after the setup? - raytsang
The left arch gaps are 10mm more than right while the front arches were adjusted within 5mm changes.

Regards,
Chee Peng