What's new

Noisey Gear

G

gingerbreadman

Hey Guys

I am getting a rattling noise in the second gear, on the over run just over 3k rpm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, its has only started happening since the clutch was changed. You can hear the sound from out side of the car.

G

gunner93

I have this mettalic rattle for about 1 to 2 sec every time I take off and it only happens after cold starts. I was told its the bearing needs adjustment / replacement or something...?

Last edited:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Dont have a rattle but 3rd is difficult to select when cold.

Could it just be your hearing more noise from the clutch? I know Nicely noticed more noise once changing his over. What clutch have you got fitted?

M

Monkey15

yeah...sometimes i hear some rumbling noises..and the most freaking thing is that, its hard to change gears after i drove some kilometers...does this meant that my clutch is slipping????..by the way, i am using Ogura Single clutch....can someone help me out???

Reaction score
Country
If it's the rattling gear noise when u select reverse specially during cold start, that's normal. Was told it was the diff speed of the planatery gear and *insert gear name* gear. Cant remember but read on it before.

A

Adam15

ya i get that noise too when cold wouldnt worry,,if your clutch is slipping you wont be putting down the power,,your revs will rise bu youll be going no where,,id change your gear oil and see can you get in gear then....

G

gingerbreadman

It sounds metallic and it?s around the gear box you can hear it better with the window down and driving along the road only on the overrun, I am thinking maybe the gearbox mount it looked ok but it is connected to the exhaust and I have no problem selecting gears, but second gear is the worst sounding I am going to remove the connector between the gearbox and exhaust see if it stops then.

Reaction score
Country
Try installing an engine damper. Heaps of Perth-s15 owners swear better gear changes with it. I dont have one so I cant comment.

M

Monkey15

i agree that installing an engine damper might help a bit as i installed one..by the way, i had this problem of hard gear changes when the car has run few kilometres, is my clutch start slipping???i used an ORC single plate clutch..

B

baynz

i dont know if this is the same or similar problem but i get noise almost crunching noise when changing at low revs into 2nd and 3rd.

Reaction score
did you ever solve this as i also seem to get a strange buzzing type sound in second gear only between 3-4k revs.

G

gingerbreadman

i have found out what the problem could be, 1 the release bearing was wrong or 2 the bushing at the end of the crankshaft that was not replaced so in the next few weeks the gear box is coming out and the bearing and the bush is being replaced with nissan ones

G

gingerbreadman

well i have had my 5 speed box rebuilt, it seems that the 2 of the synchro's where quite bad so i have replaced 4 of them and all the bearings hopefully that fixes my problems still waiting on one of the synchro rings, after finding out the box has been changed at some point in japan and has the gears & synchro rings from a R31 even though the chassis number says it doesnt very werid