What's new

tuning advice please

sniffy

Reaction score
Country
ok i'm starting to tune my s15 now want to get a few more horse's out of her.
so far theres only a nismo cat back exhaust, a blitz induction kit and a hks
ssq bov that about it.
i have ordered a greddy spec m intercooler and an apexi power fc and hand controller, also going to fit an apexi avcr boost controller.
i was just wondering what else should i do ? i was thinking 740cc injectors and fuel pump im not going to be changing the turbo just yet but would like to have most things ready for when i do. so anyone any ideas feel free to leave a reply. thanks.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Personally, I'm not into the 'big power' thing although I'll probably be wanting a little more once I get used to my motor.

I'm always keen to see a well balanced car so if you're upping the power + boost with FMIC, ECU re-map, bigger injectors etc, don't forget that you'll need more stopping power! There's quite a few threads already on decent brake systems you can go for.

Don't forget the handling as well - get a decent suspension system and look into strut bars, uprated bushes etc. Again, lots of threads about this kind of stuff already.

If you haven't already got decent tyres - now's the time! Also important but usually forgotten is a four-wheel alignment job which will get it handling even better. Make sure you take it to someone who knows what they're doing... :nod:

:)

sniffy

Reaction score
Country
the car has all the suspension systen done and at the moment i think it handles like a dream to me anyway. i didnt think of stopping i will looking into that it kinda a very important thing to be able to stop.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
As said, once the boost starts going up, you need to sort the brakes too :)

If you are changing injectors (don't bother unless you are likely to want to go over about 320bhp whilst you have the car), go for 740s. 555s aren't very big increase over standard and cost the same as 740s.

sniffy

Reaction score
Country
nicely ill be keeping the car for a good while and i'd say at some stage i will be going over 320bhp im looking a nismo 740s. would this fuel pump be enough for the injectors nismo 4.1l/min fuel pump ?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
1st things i would and have done were the Brakes and suspension before any upping of power.

sniffy

Reaction score
Country
the suspension was already done when i bought the car. i was think of get the apexi boost controller kit that goes with the power fc instead of the avcr anyone have any expericence with this ?

sniffy

Reaction score
Country
ya was thinkin that plus its cheaoer to do it this way so have money to spend on other things. was thinkin some defi gauges to moniter the engine stats like oil and water temp oil pressure and of course boost.

sniffy

Reaction score
Country
im getting ready to fit my intercoler and i have one question the pipe i have outlined how do i connect this up as there is no connection on the new intercooler pipe for it.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Ideally, you should keep it as short as possible by T'ing into the Hotpipe to IC pipe joiner using an additional nipple. Alternatively, you need to extend the hose and T it into the same hose which the boost sensor pipe feeds from (not the boost sensor pipe itself). However, due to the increased length, spiking is more likely.

sniffy

Reaction score
Country
ok so the best is to t into the hotpipe to ic if thats the best thing to do thats what ill do. nicely one more quick question i getting my power fc and boost control kit, injectors and fuel pump fitted and map in the next week or two i. i can have 4 boost settings i was thinking .6(every day), .8, 1.0 i was wondering what would be the highest boost i could have ?

D

dns15

1.2 bar is probably the maximum that the stock turbo can push
providing u have fuel problems sorted and a decent fmic 1.2 bar should be safe depending on the tuner
u might wanna fit a scramble boost button then :D
and yea t it into the fmic piping jus after the turbo making that line short as possible would be the way, fit the aftermarket solenoid first btw so u know where the line is coming from to make the nipple for the tube

S

sillbeers15

If you already have a PowerFC and do not have a boost controller, you might want to consider buying the optional boost control kit to let PowerFC ECU control your boost (if 1.2 bar and below). The advantages are below:

1. You pay less for the boost control kit over a Apexi of HKS boost controller, you get the AVC-R solenoid and wiring loom that links to your stock solenoid wiring loom (just plug in, no messy slicing of wirings) and a boost sensor that looms straight to your Power FC side socket.

2. PowerFC will allow you to set a few fuel and ign. map based on varing boost settings ( I think it is 4). You can easily choose the maps for different applications(ie track / road....) via the hand held controller.

3. Clean and neat installation. Just plug and play...via DIY. You can keep your interior really neat w/o. boost controller module sticking out like a taxi meter. Unless babes in your town thinks Taxi rides are cool:D