What's new

Changing Coil Packs and fixing a misfire | S15

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys.

This is probably a very commonly covered topic, but today, i wanted to make a video to document the matter, and help those who may not know how to do this.

This tutorial will show you how to swap your Coil Packs in your s15 if you find that they are failing, or causing misfire.

*Background story - My car was idling fine and such, accel was fine in first 2 gears, but when in 3rd gear upwards, it would stutter and splutter, causing issues with acceleration under boost. I had a tip from some guys on the facebook group, and was told to check my ignition system. I had plans to change coils and plugs, but as i had a spare set of coils, though i would do them first. Changed coils, and did not have to touch my plugs, the issue is now gone. Please follow below for any assistance or instructions.

Please see my video for full instructional and visual.

For those who might not like watching videos, or tight on data, i will write the instructions below. Please follow closely.

If you have a similar issue or need to change your packs, you will need to make sure you have your car turned off.

Pop the bonnet, and you may see a silver plate, or a plate of sorts on top of your engine. If you don't have this, you can skip to the next step, if you have one, you will need to remove it with an alan key.

Once the silver plate is removed, you will need a 10ml socket to remove the 4 bolts holding the packs in.

When unplugging, please be extremely careful, as you can break the clips quite easily if you are too rough, as they are now very brittle after about 20 years of heat cycles.

When the plugs are removed from the packs, you can gently pull them up, you may need some force as they have grommets holding them in.

When the coils out, at this point, you can just replace it, or you can take it a step further, and change your spark plugs too. I recommend the ngk iridium plugs, they are supposed to last a long time, and are gapped perfectly if you are running a similar setup to me at 15 PSI.

If you decided to swap your plugs, make sure not to over tighten them when screwing them in.

Once they are in, you can follow the process to swap the coils, but backwards, when installing the new coils.

After you have done all this, turn on the car and see if the issue persists, take it for a cruise, and if all is well, congratulations, you have saved a trip to the mechanic!

Please feel free to leave me any feedback as it helps me make future content or tutorials!

All the best, see you next time!