What's new

Weird issues with my 15

Reaction score
The car sat for a long time. I started to get it up and going again and it wouldn't start. It wanst getting fuel to the rail. I changed the pump and it's getting fuel to the rail but still wont start. But before I go to crank it over this happens

The engine light blinks really fast and makes a clicking sound as well as something whining from the engine bay.

Any ideas?

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
That’s very odd, it sounds like a relay that’s not doing it’s job properly, can you trace the clicking noise back to a specific relay and let us know your findings?

Reaction score
I check all the fuses from the cab and engine bay all are good. I even checked the ecu codes. Just 55. So that's ok. Decided to check all the accessories (ac blower, lights, hazard etc) they all work except my blinkers. Left and right nothing but the hazards work. This is what's happening now. The blinking will stop then if I press the brake it starts again. Also the loud humming seems to be coming from the abs unit. Also once and awhile when turning to ON the wipers turn on just once.
All the grounds are tight.

Joeh

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.silivaoc.com
Country
Instagram
@silviaownersclub
Have you tried to disconnect the negative of the battery and leave the car without power for 30 minutes or so and then trying again?

Reaction score
I figured that part out. The battery was far too gone even with the jump box attached. It didn't have enough power.

So now that is done I got it to fire up. But it's running super rough. I've changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, had the injectors cleaned and tested, about 6 gallons of clean gas, and new plugs. Its getting spark to all the plugs. I'm not sure what to do next.
Hears what it looking like

Reaction score
Country
might be worth checking the timing and also the cam angle sensor. if its not misfiring then chances are the timing is out. has the engine been apart?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
Sounds like a miss... Is that a distributor on the spec s? If it is I'd be looking at that for sure. If not might be worth a compression test if there's definitely fuel and spark, also the usual make sure the leads aren't arcing to anything on their way to the plugs.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm going to compression test first and then go to the distributor. I'm just not sure what distributor in the US is a match for the spec s. Anyone know?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
There was a time when if there were any running issues the plugs, leads and dizzy were usually the culprit but as time has gone on cars simply don't have them any more now there is dis and coil on plug and it becomes lost info. If you have known the car a while and haven't done so then leads and dizzy should really be replaced as serviceable items,they shouldn't be expensive once you do find them.maybe even try a clean up of the rotor arm and points first before you replace the cap altogether to see if there's an improvement.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks I finally got around to working on it agai . I pulled the distributor cap and some plastic pieces fell out! Oof. So I ordered a new cap and rotor and gonna try that. Thanks for the advise.

Reaction score
Well I changed the cap and rotor. Still the same problem.
Decided to take off the valve cover and....

Looks like the rocker arms slipped on 3 and 4
Has anyone had this happen? Easy ans pulling the cam and refitting the arms and shims?

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
Looks like spray bars may be partially blocked as well, there should not be rust on your camshafts. Could be a stuck valve broke the arm or just fatigue and lack of oil. ...

Reaction score
Looks like spray bars may be partially blocked as well, there should not be rust on your camshafts. Could be a stuck valve broke the arm or just fatigue and lack of oil. ...
its sat for a very long time.. years. my guess thats why its rusty. any way to check the valve without pulling the head?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know SR20DET cant revving high if not using RAS Rocker Arm Stopper so i think SR20DE also same, do you rev it hard? More than 6500rpm?
its never been revd high. its been undriven a very long time. It only got 75km on it.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
I'm not sure other than hand cranking the engine until the cam lobe is down and then seeing if it can be compressed and return. If it was me and the engine had sat for a long time then pulling the plugs and puttinga some oil in each cylinder, let it sit and soak a while and a good few hand cranks before attempting to start would of helped, maybe remove the rocker to check the condition of everything etc and put some fresh oil and plugs in once youre satisfied but this is all useless to you after the fact.