What's new

Wooohooo no more vvt rattle

B

Bry

My car used to make the dreaded vvt rattle when it was started up from warm,it was fine when cold but on warm start ups it would rattle until I put it in gear and engaged the clutch it would then stop and not come back until the next warm start.Today I fitted this

A brand new vvt solonoid (?48 from Japan) it is different from the one that came out of the car as it has a ball bearing device in the end of it,somehow this must keep the sprocket pressurised,anyway the end result is a non rattly car :D :D :D :D :D

old solonoid

HTH
Bry :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You were lucky. Its usually down to internal wear in the sprocket, but occasionally a new solenoid will fix it. Just a warning if others are thinking of replacing their solenoid... :)

B

Bry

You were lucky. Its usually down to internal wear in the sprocket, but occasionally a new solenoid will fix it. Just a warning if others are thinking of replacing their solenoid... :)
I think if your car only does it on warm starts it might be worth gambling that the ?49 solenoid cures it or if the noise doesn't bother you, spend the ?49 quid on beer :D

E

evade

thats cool, i have the exact same symptoms only when its warm, idle for a bit..then when you take off it goes away..until you stop again.

cold starts are fine too.

any way to be sure? Could you unplug the solenoid or something to test it??

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
'VVT rattle' occurs on 90% of all SR20DETs. Unless it does it all the time, its harmless. Replacing the solenoid MAY cure it, but it just as easily may not. The actual problem lies within the VVT sprocket.

Reaction score
I used to have the VVT rattle every morning, every first time I step on the accelerator. After going for a dyno (and finding out I'm running rich), the rattle is gone.

Don't know how that might work.

Reaction score
I never really asked about the whole VVT problem as it seems to be expensive to fix... and when i ask about stuff... mine normally breaks!!!!
isn't an alternative to use the inlet camshaft bolt and some after market sprockets??? and lose the VVT???

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If there was a decent alternative, I doubt there would have been three successful SXOC sprocket group buys. SXOC wouldn't be investigating sprocket internals to try to find a way to repair them instead of replacing. :)

Reaction score
Country
Mine has a slight rattle on cold start

Rattle can be noticable during on load as well on cold starts. Oh well what can ya do

S

SX2002

vvt rattle

Mine has a very slight rattle when cold..not everytime, just intermittently. I had the same thing in my normally aspirated SR20DE, but my mate, who works for Nissan (he used to prepare Nissan factory rally cars when they were still involved in motor sport in Australia) told me it was the non return valve for the cam chain tensioner.
A lot of guys with turbo versions assume it's the VVT, but it isn't always.

G

gunner93

Mine has that rattle only on releasing my clutch to pick up after cold start. Somehow, I am convinced mine is more clutch/gear related.