What's new

Do any S15s have open diffs?

M

mitch

I only ask because when I spun a wheel when the car was in the air today, the other didn't move and the propshaft span. When the prop was held, the opposite wheel went in the other direction. I thought it would have had a viscous diff, but need to know so I get the correct 2 way diff for it.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If the wheels went in opposite directions, its a Helical (or another open). The JDM Spec S was fitted with Viscous as standard, but it appears to have been an option.

M

mitch

So it's possibly helical? That would be a result, as it would contribute a bit towards the 2 way if I could sell it on. Any way of checking without stripping the diff down?

M

mitch

Does anyone know for sure if it is possibly helical if it spins the wheel the other way? I need to know pretty soon so I can order my diff.

Cheers :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I can only say its Helical or another open diff. Viscous would turn the wheels the same direction.

M

mitch

Thanks mate. I thought it would be a retrograde step fitting an open one, but I guess we'll see when I crack it open.

P

Paddy mack

hey mitch,

Same story with my spec S, the best way to know for sure is tocount the bolts on the half shafts. if the are in groups of two with six in total is a heli diff, if its got five bolts its open. was told this by driftworks

M

mitch

Nice one mate :)

They are three lots of two. I also asked Martin to try his helical diff and he had the same result as me, in that the prop would turn instead of the other wheel and if the prop was held, the other wheel would go in the opposite direction.

No matter though, because I spoke to James at Driftworks and he said the fitment from Kaaz is the same for open or helical so we'll just have to see when I get the diff apart.

P

Paddy mack

i'd be interested to find out for sure if it turns out to be a heli diff let me know when you find out please

P

Paddy mack

just re-read your post there i don't have to hold the prop shaft the other wheel turn in the other direction without anything held. now i'm confused how much are the kaaz diffs with them?

M

mitch

About ?585 from Driftworks. Mine's en route so I'll let you know what the outcome is.

M

mitch

Right then, mythbusting time. The 6 bolt thing is bollox, as mine had an open diff. I was surprised that they would go back to open diffs after having LSD from S13 facelifts onwards, but there you go.

Anyway, no matter. It now has a 2 way diff fitted, and it was for either helical or open, so no dramas there.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I've just double checked Nissan's archived Silvia web site.

The viscous LSD was standard on the 4AT Spec Rs and AN OPTION on the 4AT Spec S.

The Helical LSD was standard on 6MT Spec Rs and AN OPTION on the 5MT Spec S.

Now, I read that to mean its an open diff on the Spec S unless a Viscous or Helical diff was fitted as an option :eek:

P

Paddy mack

so mine is a manual Spec S so does that mean i've also got an open diff??

M

mitch

Have you jacked it up and spun the rear wheel to see which way the other turns? If it turns the same way, you'll have a viscous. If not, it'll be helical or open.

P

Paddy mack

yeah jacked up and done the test, the other wheel turns the other direction,

P

Paddy mack

ah bugger! so after abusing the car in the wet good and proper. i can't confirm my fear's i have a open diff. not happy at all. if i nail it in the wet i spin the inside wheel. anyone care to recommend a after market LSD, i hear Cusco LSD's are weak, but ATS are really big lettus but impossible to break. any advise please

Reaction score
Am I right to say that viscous lsd is easier to get the rear out? And is no where better than helical?

Is the helical a straight swop for the viscous ?