What's new

bhp

P

Paddy mack

anyone know what power you could get of a spec s with a manifold, exhaust, remap, induction kit replaced??

M

mitch

Interested too. I picked up an Apexi N1 system yesterday, along with an FRP drifty front bumper (not that the bumper will make it go faster:D)

P

Paddy mack

considering the autech version makes 200hp. i reckon with what mentioned before 200bp should be no botherto get out of it

G

Ger Keane

considering the autech version makes 200hp. i reckon with what mentioned before 200bp should be no botherto get out of it
the autech is 6 speed though as far as i know. wudnt mind gettin one of them over but they are hard to come across

P

Paddy mack

gearbox don't effect the bhp, the autech is a spec r with out the turbo, its got the same gear box, diff, brakes etc but witha high tune n/a engine.

A

Autech_NZ

i dont know but will soon as we are having a dyno day here in NZ in the next month or so and a Spec S with intake and exhaust done plus he is running the map from my ecu. should give you a good idea on what you would be making.

my guess is less than 200bhp because the autech has the high compression and cams done as well.

D

dns15

autech changed from cam to pistons to get 200bhp
i doubt basic mods on a sr20de will give u much keep in mind that n/a cars gets way less power increase by mods compare to turbos
im guessing 180bhp max

P

Paddy mack

I spoke to a guy at another tuning firm today and he told me he carry out just what i had in mind on a 99 s15 spec s, 421 manifold, 5zigen exhaust, apexi air intake and apexi fuel computer and the car only managed 183bhp, he reckond to break the 200bhp mark head work and cams would need have to be upgraded.
He said the best choose for better N/A bhp was to replace the engine with a sr20(ve) with i reckon is the autech engine. he said with the same mods i had in mind for my car on the sr20(ve) 230 to 250 bhp could be released from the engine without head work begining carried out.
but if i got a VE engine would the wiring lume have to get changed not to mention brake etc.

P

Paddy mack

sell not convert it and buy a spec R. I'd just like to see what is possible for N/A tuning. I've being googling sr20 tuning and their are people claiming 280bhp from N/A sr20's but that must be race spec engines like what was in the BTCC primera a few years back, so i like to see what is realisticly possible

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yeah, but people claim 500bhp out of SR20DETs. Now, how much they spent and what they did to get it.... ;)

Bolt on a decent turbo back exhaust, filter, up the boost and remap will get you 280-300+ on an SR20DET without much effort or cost.

P

Paddy mack

but how does that effect the engine reliably. my evo got troublesome once i went over 2 bar boost. i'd like a spec R but i'd be afraid it would become a money pit. with engine rebuilds etc

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Let's put it this way. The most powerful CA18s and SR20s I've known have also been the ones that needed constant attention.... And the most consistently reliable have been the standard ones.

SR20s are capable of a lot of tuning whilst still remaining reliable. I'm of the belief that I have reached the limit where tuning starts costing too much for the gain achieved. Its were you've got to start changing internals... Changing the turbo will get more, but then you have to find EXACTLY the right one to achieve a good balance of power against lag...

P

Paddy mack

nicely your up with the lark
well there is a 99 s15 for sale over here at the moment, with a nice bit of work done, manifold, tubro elbow, cat bypass, exhaust system, front mount intercooler, induction kit, and map i think, i would consider buying if i knew it wasn't to be pain to maintan. remembering the 95ron crazy boost situation we have in ireland
but no NCT (our MOT). and he's only had it 8 months, could be a bit suspect.

Reaction score
I fitted header, cams, exhaust and induction to my Primera Sport+ (SR20DE and went from 136bhp to 178. Not a bad increase me thinks.

Got the cams from Jim Wolf Technology in the states. I had S3R cams, you can get the S4Rs but things get lump. If you want to go mad then you can get their C cams, but i wouldn't want to tick over at 2K rpm :eek: JWT are very good; They co-developed the GT28RS turbo with Garrett and coined the phrase Disco Potato :)

But to go any further than S cams you have to start uprating your valve train.

Last edited:
P

Paul D

I've just took a sr20ve out of my almera cos im in the process of breaking it and thats 187bhp standard. I was running it with a sr16ve ecu for a 8200rpm rev limit and greddy mss for the vvl activation but never got it dyno'd to see what it was running at. I had alot of other mods aswell such as flywheel hotshot header etc

A

Autech_NZ

plus aren't the sr20ve engines all come out in front wheel drive cars so it wouldnt be an easy swap to do.

if you want big power then get a Spec R.