What's new

VVT Solonoid

B

Bry

Been reading up about the VVT rattle that these cars suffer from,and was wondering if it was worth buying a new solonoid for mine rather than the sprocket to see if this cures it.Mine only rattles on start up and even then it doesn't always do it,it never rattles at idle once warm (or if you put it in gear when it's cold the rattle goes) so I was wondering if maybe the solonoid is playing up causing the sprocket to rattle and if I change it now maybe I can save the vvt sprocket from being worn too much,or is it too late and spending ?170 on the solonoid wont cure the problem and I'm better off putting the money to a new sprocket?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
My personal opinion? Don't worry about it. Most SR20DETs suffer from it (including mine).

It more like to be the sprocket, I'm afraid. SXOC are still investigating whether its possible to cure the problem be replacing some internal components of the sprocket rather then the entire sprocket.

B

Bry

My personal opinion? Don't worry about it. Most SR20DETs suffer from it (including mine).

It more like to be the sprocket, I'm afraid. SXOC are still investigating whether its possible to cure the problem be replacing some internal components of the sprocket rather then the entire sprocket.
I start mine up put in first gear and lift the clutch pedal, as as soon as the clutch bites the noise goes,I then put it back in neutral and the noise doesn't come back,so as long as this keeps working, I'll save my money and keep doing the above :D

Reaction score
yea, i have exactly the same noise... doesn't bother me enough to warrant spending big bucks sortin' it!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Yep, that classic VVT rattle. Its caused by uneven wear on the sprocket cogs. SXOC are trying to establish exactly which part causes the wear. Internal spring pressure is the suspect... All we know is that its done it on the SR20DET engine from 1994-2003...

B

Bry

Thanks for the info,so it would seem it's a bit pointless buying a new sprocket (wasn't that the dogs name in Fraggle rock lol) if in time it's going to go the same way?

Reaction score
Hey GUys,

I'm having this rattling sound whenever i rev the engine more than 1.5krpm in either engaged or disengaged the gear!! it sounds more if the RPM is higher, It's quite irritating especially when running. BUt i'm not sure is it the VVT rattling. Can anyone advise more on this on what to check to determine is it the VVT or it's due to wear or incorrect clearance of the tappet(do we have this in SR20 engine?)?? FYI my drive S15 Spec S(JDM)

Appreciate your guys help on this. I had change new oil but the rattling sound is still there?? Will change to thicker oil helps??

S

sillbeers15

Yea. Had that problem on my S14 after clocking up 80,000km.

Still don have this problem on my S15 cause I'm keeping the mileage low!

Reaction score
is the VVT we are talking about refer to the NVCS?? Nissan Variable Cam System?? not sure about the exact pronounce. if yes than i would say it did had it on the SR20DE engine. i'm clocking almost come to 100k km...is the wear rate really so high that the sprocket can wear down so fast in just 100k mileage? hope it didn't get worse or done some damage to the engine. So silbeers15 had you done anything on your S14 to solve it??

S

sillbeers15

"is the VVT we are talking about refer to the NVCS?? Nissan Variable Cam System?? not sure about the exact pronounce. if yes than i would say it did had it on the SR20DE engine. i'm clocking almost come to 100k km...is the wear rate really so high that the sprocket can wear down so fast in just 100k mileage? hope it didn't get worse or done some damage to the engine. So silbeers15 had you done anything on your S14 to solve it??" - popyenomoresailor

Nop...I sold off my S14

Reaction score
so that was the easy way to solved the problem ya!!?? haha...SOLD IT OFF!! haha...anyway i think i just need to live with it untill i got budget to DET conversion!!

S

sillbeers15

I actually sold the S14 off for other reasons...one if for me to get my S15 which I've had since I sold of my S14 five years ago.

The noisy start up of every SR20DET after some miles put in can be lived with as it does not affect performance and durability of the motor.