What's new

VVT Solonoid

Reaction score
maybe the noise did come with age of the engine. i do some reading on the manual, it was saying the noise is due to defective hydraulic lash adjuster. after some thinking i'm thinking it might be correct, i'm not very sure what is the actual function of hydraulic lash adjuster. but refer to the position of the adjuster seems like it is the parts to maintain clearance between rocker arm and exh/suc valve. if it had lost its tension and it will create clearance between arm and guide than it will have the noise whenever engine is revving. but as nicely mention it might due to Spring tensions?? which i think it is the same concept. anyway if really done not much harm than forget it!! bring up the volume of the music than.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The noise is due to weak internal springs causing uneven wear in the sprocket. SXOC are researching this very issue and bought a brand new NVCS sprocket to compare with worn ones. When the springs get weak, they don't allow the sprocket to open and close properly. This causes a reduction of oil into it and causes the rattling. If you engine oil gets too low, you will notice the rattle gets louder.

C

chris2712au

Is the unit serviceable ?

has anyone tried pulling it apart ? I have the noise now at 85 k kilometers, replaced the solenoid but it definitely is in the vtc unit itself ? previous owner didnt keep the oil changes up to it so i gave it a couple of flushes and it got better. however a new one is 450AUD. any ideas ?

C

chris2712au

VVT solenoid

Hi gunner, thats the part i replaced already, however the noise is still there, we suspect it is actually the unit attached to the cam shaft that advances the timing ? I think i have found it on the same website thanks for the link. The solenoids like the one you pictured here are 275AUD from the local nissan dealer so that site is definitely a bonus.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If the solenoid doesn't fix the rattle, its going to be a new sprocket I'm afraid :( And, no, its not serviceable. SXOC researched into it, but it just wasn't viable.

G

gunner93

If the solenoid doesn't fix the rattle, its going to be a new sprocket I'm afraid :( And, no, its not serviceable. SXOC researched into it, but it just wasn't viable.
Nicely,

Do you mean I have to replace the intake cam-shaft which has the VTC mechanism as well as the sprocket at the end of it? :confused:

C

chris2712au

nicely & gunner

well looking at this part it looks like the sprocket and the advance mech are one unit looking at the following part :

https://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm/NISSAN-S14-S15-Silvia-Camshaft-Intake-Sprocket-SR20-30541

It is darn expensive too 530.00 AUD delivered to sydney ?

is the VVT and the sprocket able to be seperated ?

if it was do you think the sprocket is faulty or the vvt unit ?

I can buy a couple of second hand ones here hopefully they are low K as most of my mates have gone for adjustable timing gears instead. But they have done major engine rework and have plenty of torque/power to play around with. Me on the other hand like my car to be a lttle more sedate.

G

gunner93

These was from Ichi-go...

"The aftermarket cam gear will get rid of the stock cam gears that has the VTC all together. No VTC no rattle."

I believe the above replaces the cam shaft intake sprocket. It will become just like the S13 SR20DET without VTC. One performance garage suggested me to replace aftermarket high cams which will get rid of the VTC sprocket alltogether.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
^^ Yes it will become just like the S13 SR20DET but you can adjust the advance/retard on the cam gears.

But some people prefer the VTC because the VTC can allow up to 20 degrees of adjustments.... 10 degree adv 10 degree retard

When you put in aftermarket cam gears, usually people will dial in around 6 degree(doesnt sacrifice too much topend) which will still be 4 degree less than what the VTC can advance. You will need to weigh on whether the VTC is worth keeping for you.

G

gunner93

Thanks Ichi for this. Looks like the GReddy bling factor has a price to pay afterall. :)

C

chris2712au

VVT continued

thanks alot for the information. I have discussed this with my mates and he says that the removal of the VVT will definitely be noticeable. Normally he sets a car up for bottom end and then boosts the top end.

However the improvements I have made are sedate and i would like the car to be as driveable as possible.

I have done the following using the standard nissan parts :-
bored out throttle body machined a butterfly to 60mm
fitted a 3" bar and plate FMIC with thin alloy piping
3" exhaust from turbo.
pneumatic boost adjustment to 14psi
Cold air intake / pod filter
turbo 0.64 rear housing enlarged internal waste gate
tuned exhaust manifold.

Handling and suspension soon.

I am still going to keep the standard computer and my mate feels that if he was to get rid of the vvt he would like to do a full retune of the engine ? I like the way the car goes now it is pretty much that standard 200 feel it just gets there alot quicker no boost spikes or too much lag from the turbo and I want to keep it that way ?

As for the gears whats the driveability like ? Would you think it would be wise keeping the computer tuned the same and removing the VVT ?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
A little off topic.

I would definately look at an aftermarket computer with that amount of mods. You will definately notice a improvement with a good map in something like a powerfc.

my 2c.

S

sillbeers15

The HKS F-CON Pro 3.24 can control the NVCS to match the rest of the fuel/air and ignition map. Throwing away the NVCS setup will be a waste as it improves low end response.

M

MIKS

if I replace the cam gears with adjustable cams, I must setup it. How many degrees I must turn it In order to repeat opening of valves like with NVCS ?

P.S. sorry for very very very bad English