What's new

Another running rich post

Reaction score
Country
Finally got my wideband fitted this weekend and the results are: Warm idle (800rpm) 11.8-12, cruising 3k ish-12, mild acceleration (half throttle on boost) 13.5-14.5, WOT 10.8-11.1 but right up at 7k i have seen 10.3

Mods so far are walbro 255, FMIC, 3"turbo back with decat, boost controller set at 0.7 bar, aftermarket FPR, HKS mushroom filter, BOV delete. Car has not bee mapped yet.

Ive read that the walbro will push more fuel than the stock map can handle so this could cause super rich running, also that it could be a dodgy coil/plug so its actually running lean and pushing fuel through the exhaust (not so sure on this one) or maybe temperature sensor as Im sure ive heard my fan kick in too early.

Car idles fine, sometimes it will stall approaching a junction if the AC is on but when off its fine. Ive checked for boost leaks up to 2bar and found a couple of small ones but this was pre wideband install.

tonight i will check what the FPR is set at as it should be 42psi? (3bar) other than that is this anything majorly wrong or is it just in need of a map? Car does pull like a train, I've 'compared' with a guy at work who has a new RS with mountune 375 kit fitted and there was zero difference.

any ideas welcome

Reaction score
Country
not heard about a walboro causing running rich i wouldn't have though a standard walboro would encumber the FPR..whcih its sole purpose it to regulate the flow... i did once plug in a 400LPH pump and that made the FP rise to 3.5bar on idle, it went straight back to 3 once i switched back.

if a Temp sensor fails it would run dog rough.

you're still on Standard AFM?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
yeah stock AFM. I read the walbro thing on anpother forum so could be BS but worth looking.

Reaction score
Country
thing is the stock AFM stops measuring around 290-300bhp after that it will run lean it cannot fuel past this threshold, i did compare mine to yours that time if you recall, even you asked if i was foot flat to floor (which it was and also pushing 14s in the AFR) but my car made 310bhp at that time.

where and how are you measuring boost?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Everything is plumbed in as It was from factory. The boost gauge reads from the same place and the boost controller solenoid replaces the OEM piece. Both gauge and controller read 0.7 at peak boost around 5k

subzero

Reaction score
my car was running rich and failed our national car test on emissions recently, copped from the power fc the o2 sensor was not reading properly. took out the o2 sensor and it was a bag of rattly metal. replaced with new and its running perfect again. not smoky and way better on fuel economy

Reaction score
Country
That’s interesting, is there anyway of testing the sensor without buying a new one?

i checked my fuel pressure and it was at 47psi with vac attached and I read it should be between 37-40. Adjusted it down and warm idle is now around 13.5-13.8. Will try and repeat the original test and see what values I get

Reaction score
Country
Quickest way to test, unplug it and see what happens to AFR’s it should go rich unless yours is knackered in which case nothing will change, but bear in mind a knackered lambda only affects closed loop.

if you like we can whip mine out and try it in yours

Reaction score
Country
Ill unplug it tomorrow on idle and see what it does. May as well test the MAF whilst I'm there too. new sensor is £70 from Hdev which is ok. But first test is drive with new fuel pressure and see whats what

Reaction score
Ok, late to the party, what ECU or tune are you running, sounds like you AFR's are all over the place especially running the stock AFM , if you are running rich down low you will stuff the O2 sensor, and BOV delete will add to it..

Reaction score
Country
Map and boost are completely stock. Have just got the bolt ons stayed in the first post. Jut trying to find if I have a genuine problem or if it is just running that way as it’s in need of a map. I have a map sensor and mistime to fit over the winter

Reaction score
I see now, well yes if you are running the stock ECU because you have made changes to fuel the ECU will think there is a problem and go into self protect mode and overfuel to protect the engine from detonation...A tune will improve you AFRs through out the rev range