What's new

Gear knock

A

Anubis

Hey all,

Quick question... not sure if this is normal.

But... say you are driving along in 5th (or 6th or 4th)....... acc pedal is down a little to keep the cars speed up.
Now remove your foot slowly from the acc .... ie from 25%.......10%... 5% ... 0% throttle........ as soon as i hit zero.... there is like a mechanical thunk noise..... not sure where it comes from... somtimes sound like it is under the rear seat... other time sounds like it is beneath the cabin.

Is this normal?

Also.. i know alot of manual car do this... but why...... say your driving in a car park in 2nd.... and you just realease the acc pedal all of a sudden... it goes all jerky and jerks your car what fells like back and forth. 1st is more violent... i find i just put it in 2nd... and if i do need to remove my foot from acc... ill put the clutch in too.

Reaction score
Country
Hmm sounds like your transmission mounts are gone.

Change to a stiffer one and use engine torque damper and that should solve the problem.

Other than that, all I could think of is exhaust bushings. If the bush is gone(soft), it will cause the exhaust to swing left or right and hit the chassis or other part which cause the sound u said.

E

evade

Revival..

Did you end up figuring this one out? I think I have the same issue..its knocking and driving me nuts..

Isnt there only one trans mount? Would using a nismo one (im assuming thats stiffer) cause more vibration/etc to be transferred through the chassis?

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with my car... and I have Nismo engine and gearbox mounts

when I was getting my diff repalced, they commented on how the crownwheel and pinion were quite worn... this in turn causes issues when it unloads as their is a bit of play... kinda hard to explain, but I get symptons like the ones your talking about

S

sillbeers15

I have a similar issue with my car... and I have Nismo engine and gearbox mounts
Are the nismo engine and gearbox mounts contributing significantly more NVH into the cabin?

T

tass15

how old is the clutch, if your still using the stocker, it may be the rubber bushings holding the two pieces together are knackered. i have experienced this a couple of times at work with ford transits, as they use the same style two piece damped flywheel. hope this helps.