What's new

Exhaust gasket blown - change manifold? ... ?

Lil SpecR

Reaction score
Website
www.ejmcarphotography.co.uk
Country
Instagram
@lil_ej_x
Hi all!

Blew my exhaust manifold this weekend!
First time I have had to fix something on this car, looks like the manifold will be all coming off, made a start last night...
So the question is, whilst the manifold is off - do I replace that as well?

Car is currently stock - BUT, she was bought as a lifelong tuning project, with the intention to mod myself and once I no longer am spending a small fortune on childcare I will be getting her to Stage 3... so do I change the manifold now whilst its off? (Dont fancy doing it again!) Or do those running biggish power use a stock manifold just fine? If an upgrade is advised, which brands? I have read 15 manifolds are prone to cracking (?) and until i have got mine off I cant say if mine is crack free and its just the gasket thats a issue ...

Thoughts, advise etc welcome! :)

Reaction score
Country
if you want above 320hp then the stock t28 will need to be swapped out so if you are planning to upgrade your turbo in the future id stick with the stock one as it will only have to come off again later. It is a ballache of a job as there is quite a lot to come off and the stress of will I/wont I sheer a head stud. In terms of manifolds, something like walton will be your best bet. They are heavy AF and great quality and wont crack. most tubular ones on the market are thin steel even if the welds are good and it is the steel that fails- even Tomei ones. And OEM gaskets are best to use as they are best quality.

Walton Motorsport Nissan SR20 Turbo Manifold - Walton Motorsport

lewis

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@lewis_concannon
:lol: Just been through the search for a manifold myself and its rubbish because no matter what manifold you look at there are always lots of people that tell you not to buy it because it cracks... I went for Tomei in the end because it was fairly inexpensive looks and sounds good. I have just finished fitting it and I did braided turbo lines whilst everything was out, may be something you want to look into? Again with the stockie mine cracked as well as a few other friends even though people swear by them being super reliable...
Like Virgin said anything over 300-320 you'll want a bigger turbo so if the stockie isn't cracked may be worth keeping it for now until you do turbo as well because you can build the turb/manifold and elbow with braided lines before you put it in the car and then just swap it all out when you need/want to.

Lil SpecR

Reaction score
Website
www.ejmcarphotography.co.uk
Country
Instagram
@lil_ej_x
Thanks for the replies guys!
I forgot I would be needing to fit a bigger turbo at some point, so I think (unless its cracked) I will stick to my stock manifold until such a point when I get to the turbo change!
I hadnt seen the Walton manifold in my previous searches, looks nice! I will look into it more at a later date (again, unless i find mine has cracked in the mean time haha!! :D )
Nice idea on the braided lines, I have seen some on Japspeed so added them to my list :) Along with a whole shopping list of other bits ... :p

lewis

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@lewis_concannon
Nice idea on the braided lines, I have seen some on Japspeed so added them to my list :) Along with a whole shopping list of other bits ... :p
You want to speak to jack pilkington on the fb owners page he does them best quality and for good money as he does 15 owners club discount as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk