Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    Manifold and elbow fitting
    @lewis_concannon

Hi everyone, i'm hoping that some of you will be able to help me plan properly with fitting my manifold and turbo elbow. Basically I'm going to be fitting them when the elbow arrives, hopefully in the next few weeks and I want to make sure I can kind of do everything at once and make sure I have spares incase something goes wrong.
    I have already ordered:
    Braided turbo lines, banjo bolts and washers for that
    Turbo to elbow gasket
    Elbow, comes with gasket to front pipe and studs/nuts
    Manifold comes with manifold to head gasket and studs to go to turbo, turbo to manifold gasket
    Copper plated bolts for turbo elbow and locking ones for manifold. Cant seem to find the three bolts to go into turbo from elbow?
    Spare studs for exhaust housing and manifold
    Nuts for the studs from head to manifold.

I'm sure that's everything I've ordered, but can anyone think of anything that I have forgotten or should do whilst the turbo and manifold is off?

Other question is what do people think of wrapping the elbow/downpipe as well as possibly the front pipe just to help control some of the heat.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Liked
    use Nissan oem manifold to head gasket and turbo to manifold gasket usually the ones that come with them dont last pissing time. Everyone only use the Nissan gaskets as they are the best really.

if the gasket you have for the turbo to elbow isnt nissan id recommend using a nissan one there as well
    Chief Wiggum: "This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless."

Liked
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but sometime soon (hopefully) Iíll be changing out the turbo elbow - itís still the OEM one on there and as far as I know itís never been removed. Any advice or tips for getting it off, or things to watch out for?

Liked
    @lewis_concannon
    Quote Originally Posted by sniffy View Post
    use Nissan oem manifold to head gasket and turbo to manifold gasket usually the ones that come with them dont last pissing time. Everyone only use the Nissan gaskets as they are the best really.

if the gasket you have for the turbo to elbow isnt nissan id recommend using a nissan one there as well
    Thankfully Tomei supply genuine Nissan gaskets for both mani to head and to turbo. Also the other one Ive ordered for the elbow is Nissan. Ive heard of people putting like a high temp gasket sealer or like permitted or something similar to help seal the gaskets can anyone confirm this is a bad or good idea?

Liked
    @lewis_concannon
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but sometime soon (hopefully) I’ll be changing out the turbo elbow - it’s still the OEM one on there and as far as I know it’s never been removed. Any advice or tips for getting it off, or things to watch out for?
    from what I've seen lots of penetrating oil and heat if necessary... oh and a big breaker bar

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    from what I've seen lots of penetrating oil and heat if necessary... oh and a big breaker bar
    Ah canít wait... I want to do it without removing the turbo as well..

Liked
    @lewis_concannon
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
    Ah can’t wait... I want to do it without removing the turbo as well..
    Do you have a decent lift to use? If not honestly you'll struggle as you need room to fit sockets and extensions on to break those bolts and nuts loose, it can be done but with a lot of headache.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    Do you have a decent lift to use? If not honestly you'll struggle as you need room to fit sockets and extensions on to break those bolts and nuts loose, it can be done but with a lot of headache.
    No I donít.. Iím a driveway mechanic haha. Maybe Iíll just suck it and get Horsham Developments to stick it on for me. Itís an elbow and downpipe in one which will only make it harder. I think the cost for them to do it will be better than the aggro it will cause me trying to do it. Theyíre about 2 miles from me anyway and Iím booked in for an alignment next week so Iíll see what they say.

I donít have an expansive tool set either to be honest. Anything that canít be done with a basic socket set or some spanners and a can of WD-40 Iím kind of stuffed Manifold and elbow fitting

Liked
    If you’ve got a Halfords set and some axle stands then it can be done easy. I did mine with no ramp. Top 3 bolts can be got at from the top and the bottom two from underneath. Don’t need to remove the turbo can all be done in situ. As it goes I’m doing mine again soon as I want to heat wrap the elbow and downpipe.

Save your pennies and spanner it yourself

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM_virgin View Post
    If youíve got a Halfords set and some axle stands then it can be done easy. I did mine with no ramp. Top 3 bolts can be got at from the top and the bottom two from underneath. Donít need to remove the turbo can all be done in situ. As it goes Iím doing mine again soon as I want to heat wrap the elbow and downpipe.

Save your pennies and spanner it yourself
    You need to take the manifold heat shield off right? I breathed on one and it snapped immediately.