What's new

Wastegate Valve Control Solenoid

A

auxoura

Hey guys, I've recently just purchased my S15 and found that my car does not have the wastegate valve solenoid. I was wondering does it affect the performance of the car?

I have had other owners test my car and they find that my car is slightly laggier without the solenoid.

I was wondering, do I actually need the solenoid or can I replace it with a electronic boost controller? Will it act as the same?? What about the original socket?

Many thanks... :( :(

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its possible someone has done a 'free boost upgrade'. This is something you need to investigate. I'd need to see a photo of the boost hose arrangement on the turbo side of the engine. FBU can cause lag.

Welcome BTW :wave:

A

auxoura

Thanks!

I'm not sure if he done the free boost upgrade but the hoses in the car has been change beause the previous owner no longer uses the OEM blowoff.

This is the part that is missing
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5903/ecvb6.jpg

Dont know if this is what you require..When the car came, it didnt have a OEM blowoff and the air was kicking back into the turbine. Some said that my vaccum might be leaking but I am wondering without the solenoid can it cause such problem and do i need the solenoid or can i replace with a AVC-R

Oh yea...thanks for your warm welcome :wave:

A

auxoura

But what im concern is the oem solenoid is required or not and would a EBC compensate or replace the oem solenoid.

The manual boost controller was added by myself. Hehe..excuse the ugly thing..lol

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The OEM solenoid isn't required, but the car would boost lower without it if there isn't anything else controlling the boost like a Manual boost controller or an electrical one.

I replaced my solenoid with a Blitz Spec-R EBC. Just remoced the OEM solenoid and tucked the wiring away.

waiting for a new HKS EVC to replace my Blitz :)

A

auxoura

Thanks for the help.....now i need to find whats the problem that is causing the lag.

I would probably fit my car with the AVC-R and test it out. Hate the lag. :(

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:nod: Looks like a bleed value. This is almost certainly what will be causing your lag, as they are renowned for it. Its a very interesting setup there too. There is no boost hose outlet on the IC hotpipe as standard, so that's been added. Usually, that hose would be attached to the outlet on the IC cold pipe (the one across the front of the engine bay).

If you are intending running more boost, I'd recommend replacing that setup with a proper electronic boost controller. This will get rid of the lag and control the boost much more efficiently and effectively.

BTW, we like to know where people are in the world as it often has a bearing on the S15 spec, so can I ask you to put Malaysia or KL in you profile location ;) :)

A

auxoura

So the hose that connects to the hotpipe suppose to go before the intercooler? Sorry, the terms just confuses me...hehe

Also I just checked and my Greddy FMIC doesnt have a nipple before the intercooler. Do I have to make one like the hotpipe? :confused:

And how did you know i was from Malaysia? hmm

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Ah. You've got an FMIC. That would be why the take-off is on the hotpipe. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, it gives a more accurate boost reading.

I knew your location from the network address logged against your post :)

A

auxoura

hmmm

Ok, now Mr Nicely is scary.... :eek: I will be fitting my AVC-R this Saturday, hoping that the outcome is good..

Elizium : which part will you be and have you been to malaysia before? Are you here for leisure or work? Maybe you could let me know so i can give you a few pointers....but how are you with asian food? :nod: :nod:

elizium

Reaction score
Website
www.mys15.org
Elizium : which part will you be and have you been to malaysia before? Are you here for leisure or work? Maybe you could let me know so i can give you a few pointers....but how are you with asian food? :nod: :nod:
I'm going to KK and KL after starting off in Singapore... will be in KL for my birthday... :) I actually grew up in that part of the world - and the food is in my blood. I haven't been to KK since I was 11 though... and KL since I was 18.. so I think things changed quite a bit :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I was over in KL a year or so back and ate at an absolutely fabulous Thai restaurant (ironically) in Bintang Walk, just off Jalan Bukit Bintang :)

Reaction score
Country
auxoura from zth? Used to drive a gti?? Post some pictures of your s15!

When u fit an aftermarket ebc, you can set the gain which will affect how fast the boost comes. That should solve your laggy boost problems.

G

gunner93

Hi Auxoura,

I took out my factory solenoid after installing Greddy profec-B spec II EBC(from N1 Sunway). The breather hole on the air intake should be plug off. Connect instead to the cold IC pipe (near the battery). Anyway if we can meet up and TT with Nick, I can have a look at it. BTW I am working in Consplant 1 near Subang Parade. Do you hang out there/Under 5?
Boost the bugger man... he he