What's new

Diff swap questions

Reaction score
Country
So here's the deal I'm looking to put a lsd in my 1999 spec-s. From my resurch I believe it currently has a open diff system. So my question is will I have to change the whole diff housing or can I still just drop in the gear box and go?

Reaction score
Country
Can't answer your question on that sorry but I've got a spec r lsd in my garage (no housing) if you'd be interested in that?

Leo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sniffy

Reaction score
Country
you can just drop the diff center into the spec s. just unbolt the the gear ring from the diff center and bolt it to the new diff center drop it back in and away you go. I would keep the spec s diff as it is a 4.1 ratio. I put a spec s diff in my spec r but i swapped the centers so that i got rid of the open diff as they are ****.

Reaction score
Country
Thank you sniffy that's exactly what I was looking for! You wouldn't believe how little info there is out there about this topic it's some what suprising

adzsy

Reaction score
Country
I made up my diff from the S15 housing (to keep the abs sensor), an R33 Auto 4.36:1 Crown and pinion gear with viscous diff, and R33 stub shafts (leading to R33 drive shafts)

Just remember the shims are selected on assembly so try to remember what order they went. You may need to play around with different shim sizes.

Not a difficult task, but just make sure it all spins freely and doesn't sound like its grinding. I found a set of digital callipers useful for checking measurements.