What's new

Clutch noise ???

Reaction score
Country
Hey guys, i bought my s15 2 days ago and i'm still trying to figure out what noises are normal and what is not.
Today i noticed a noise while standing at the traffic light.
It sounds like a whir or something like that.
After pushing the clutch the noise was gone.

Is this normal or could it be the release bearing ???
Or something totally different ?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
That might depend on what gearbox you have in it. The S14 gearbox (a not uncommon transplant for an S15) makes such a noise and I went through that angst when I bought my S14 way back when. I think it's because the gears are cut somewhat straighter than most synchromesh designs which is one reason why those gearboxes are so strong. I don't think the the 6-speed manual (that is normal in an S15 Spec-R) does that due to different gear cut but I don't think it would be a problem if it did. I learnt some things about what's happening inside a gearbox (when in neutral for example) while investigaing that. I'm not saying this is necessarily what you're experiencing but it's possible this could be normal. You could put new oil in it so you're at a known starting point and look for anything metallic in the old oil that might be a result of something.

Reaction score
Country
My 6-speed does the same thing. The oil has recently been changed but I think it's the layshaft making that noise. Mine's a bit whiny in first and second too but the gearbox still seems to perform fine - changes gears fine etc. Think it's just a characteristic of the box haha.

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like normal to me. The 6 speed is a bit noisy but nothing generally to worry about until you start running 400bhp ish power

immy21

Reaction score
Country
Typical for old RWD cars, mentioned above, think it's called layshaft bearing.
If you grab the gearbox shaft/spline and give it a wiggle, it's the bearing that keeps holds it.
Nothing to worry about, ideally change it when clutch needs done. Most people don't bother, I bought a bearing for my old S14 but never did change it.