What's new

A few engine questions, wanting to increase power

Reaction score
Country
Hi Everyone! I'm new here and I'm new to the SR20DET engine! Finally purchased my dream s15 so I'm mega happy!

I'm now looking to increase the power of my engine and I have a few questions I'm hoping you all can answer for me, so ill jet get right to them!

I'd like to aim for as much HP as possible without forging but we'll see how the future goes!

1) What can the standard internals take (standard question that I presumes been asked 1000 times!)

2) Whats the standard turbos HP capability? (Infact what is the standard turbo?)

3) Whats the engine capable of forged?

4)If I do decided to go forced where would be my first call for pistons, rods ect... (i.e what brands are best or commonly used?)

I have a small plan in mind, does this sound reasonable to eveyone?

Unforged engine
Aftermarket cams
Holset hx35 (or something similar gt2871r? anyone have any suggestions?)
6boost top mount manifold (or does anyone know any similiar but good manifolds?)
740cc nismo injectors
Standalone management (have not yet decided what I'd like)

Anyone have any similar spec s15s?

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Standard internals 400-450 normally , stock gearbox will struggle at that power though. Stock turbo is good for 320 ish forged engine can be capable of whatever you want it to be . Mine is being built to take between 800-1000hp but I will only be running about 550. Generally something like 86.5/87mm pistons and Rods would be good for 600ish . A lot of good brands about it just depends on budget really . Cp pistons and eagle /Manley rods seem a popular choice .
If your doing cams you will likely want springs and retainers also , when you start going more power other things undoubtably will need changing . Have you updated brakes , suspension etc ? I would have a garret over a holset any day . Ecu wise syvecs is the balls , it's a lot of money though. Link is a good choice at the lower end or if you want just a board then nistune .

Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to acheive
Fmic
Tubular manifold and uprated turbo elbow
740cc injectors
Z32 AFM
GT2871R turbo
Uprated dump valve
Cooler spark plugs
That should be a good list for near 400hp

Sent from Big Bear Kustoms Ltd using tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Standard internals 400-450 normally , stock gearbox will struggle at that power though. Stock turbo is good for 320 ish forged engine can be capable of whatever you want it to be . Mine is being built to take between 800-1000hp but I will only be running about 550. Generally something like 86.5/87mm pistons and Rods would be good for 600ish . A lot of good brands about it just depends on budget really . Cp pistons and eagle /Manley rods seem a popular choice .
If your doing cams you will likely want springs and retainers also , when you start going more power other things undoubtably will need changing . Have you updated brakes , suspension etc ? I would have a garret over a holset any day . Ecu wise syvecs is the balls , it's a lot of money though. Link is a good choice at the lower end or if you want just a board then nistune .

Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust
Uprated fuel pump
Boost controller to acheive
Fmic
Tubular manifold and uprated turbo elbow
740cc injectors
Z32 AFM
GT2871R turbo
Uprated dump valve
Cooler spark plugs
That should be a good list for near 400hp

Thanks for your reply! This is a project for me and I only want the best so I like to do a lot of research and take my time with things. Obviously with upgrading the engine other areas of the car need upgrading and they are already in the process! I'm not just going to bolt a bigger turbo on and drive off!

I have a big parts list underway but the engine is what I'm mainly focusing on! Suspension wise I'm on BC Coilovers, brakes are standard all round (but I'm looking into D1 or Ksport 6 pots)

I'm currently running a tubular low mount mani on the stock turbo, running colder plugs with a walbro 255

I'd like to hit the higher end of engines limit (like the 450 you quoted) as that's the perfect balance of daily road car and occasional track power I'm looking for so forged might not be for me (but you never know)..

I'm a fan of holset turbos (Mainly because I work with them most days in my job) so I think i've found the optimal one for this 4 cylinder!

Speaking to compressor racing I think I'm going to go for a Holset HX30 (as the HX35 will just be to big for what I'm looking for). So ill give you a run down of my plan!

Target of 450HP
Free flow air filter
Free flow exhaust (custom made to suit the turbo, vband)
Walbro 255
Electronic Boost controller (probably AEM)
FMIC Hardpipe
Tubular top mount manifold
740cc nismo injectors
Z32 AFM
Holset HX30 Turbo
External Wastegate (Need to research these)
Uprated dump valve (Need to research these)
Cooler spark plugs (Already fitted)
Aftermarket cams (with the headwork you mentioned, undecided which cams yet; id need to research duration and lift ect..)

ECU wise I'm not sure a board will be up to the job of my spec and I'd like standalone management. Link ECU is a good shout also! The problem I have is that there's not many mappers who can tune many ecus in my area. I Know of 2 people who can only tune a microsquirt, megasquirt and emerald ECU.

When you say Z32 AFM I think i'd like to run MAFless but I presume that's down to if the ecu is capable of this.

Think I'll achieve this with my spec list? Thanks

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Ha ha I didn't mean it in a bad way just seem a lot of people like to turn the wick up without a solid chassis first ha ha I have d2 356mm black editions on my car and they are very good for the money , the new k sport and d2 are mono block calipers now which are awesome ! If you're looking for 450 you will need a stronger gearbox 100% and I would be looking at forging 400+ if it was me. Maybe a light bore 86.5mm pistons and rods , hg, bearings etc nothing ridiculous That's fair enough dude I never liked holset turbo , I have a Borg warner efr7670 going on mine just personal preference like a lot of these things ! The new range of gtx garrets look awesome though I would probably consider one of those now . You can get poncams which are 256 I believe and they are drop in so you don't need to swap springs etc give good gains in the mid range . Depends how far you want to go ! Yeah maf less is the way forward , I am going that route with my syvecs: would assume link could do it . Also would think with the link you won't need an Ebc Tbh if it were me I would trailer it to somewhere that can dude , protuner is doing my car very good with these cars otherwise mb automotive get good reviews too . Plenty of places about and defo worth travelling . All sounds achievable dude . Welcome to the never ending parts list ha ha

Last edited: