What's new

Will it pass a MOT?

Reaction score
Country
Hey people, if this has been asked before I'll delete the post but I can't seem to find anything through tapatalk.

Anyway, my car isn't due a MOT till January, but before I start spending money I thought I'd get some info from you guys.

My next little plans for the car are to remove the back seats and belts, fit a smaller steering wheel and some sport seats with a set of 5 point harness' and remove the front factory belts.

I have spoken to my local MOT guy and he says it's a fail with the missing airbag and didn't say much about the belts. The DVSA? Say it's tested as presented and that I should speak the DVLA.

I have seen that a few of you have smaller steering wheels, how did you get on with the MOT? Are back seats and belts part of the test? It says on the DVSA? Site that if a car has been modified for a particular use then it is exempt from certain aspects of the test.

To some of you this may sound stupid but nobody I have spoken to and even Google can't give me a straight answer. I don't really fancy spending money on parts that can't be used.

Bit of a long post so apologies for that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Ever since I fitted fixed front seats I was wary of being failed as I still had the rear seats.

Now through, rear seats are still there with a half cage but no seat belts. Front seat belt upper point has been welded into the cage main hoop so I can use them for road driving. Harnesses suck for driving on the road when you have them tight enough to work properly. I've also got a Sparco steering wheel. All of that goes through, although the place I go is realistic about what he's testing. Get a letter of the law type tester and 99% of us would fail.

Reaction score
Country
Nice one cheers drifter thats whats wanted to hear. I can imagine the harnesses are a pain for road use. I was just thinking that way if the airbag did become an issue I could use the harness as an excuse to not need it. The harnesses and possibly a cage would be the last things on the list though. What was the reason for keeping the back seats if you can't get to them, noise or looks?

Reaction score
Country
The general rule is as long as it's safe then 99% will be fine. For example a wheel with no air bag might throw up a warning light on the dash- that would be a fail but if there is no light then it's ok. Same with harnesses, as long as they're installed properly it's ok. Seats with a cage and no belts is fine, they just assume you won't be using the rear seats. If you have belts but they're damaged then the belts need to work so that would fail. As said if you get a fair tester you will fine unless your car is a complete drift missile

drifter

Reaction score
Country
What was the reason for keeping the back seats if you can't get to them, noise or looks?

Bit of both mate, car still looks semi normal inside so didn't want bare metal, plus it keeps the noise down and closes off the boot :)

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for the replies. I know all the lights have to work as normal on the dash, a relay should sort that out so that it still switches off. I'll go with that then and just find someone that isn't too strict.

Back seats and belts are gunna be coming out this weekend then, seems as their no use to anybody with legs. For the hole I'll cut some wood to fit the space and carpet the whole thing. Run it like that for a few weeks see how I feel then if needs be chuck the seats back in if I don't like it.

Reaction score
Country
I've had MOT testers pass my car with the Nardi wheel on it and a couple have also failed it for having the wheel fitted, due to "no airbag, DANGEROUS!!!" I believe the statement said. There was no airbag light on the dash due to the correct resister being used.

It really just depends what sort of mood the tester is in.

Reaction score
Country
Just to add some to this ( and I'm actually an MOT Tester) the Manual only really 'applies to cars in a standard in modified condition'
Once it's been changed the manual can be thrown out haha
Providing the Airbag light isn't on the steering wheel will Pass
If the back seats and belts are fitted they have to work/be in passable condition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Just to add some to this ( and I'm actually an MOT Tester) the Manual only really 'applies to cars in a standard in modified condition'
Once it's been changed the manual can be thrown out haha
Providing the Airbag light isn't on the steering wheel will Pass
If the back seats and belts are fitted they have to work/be in passable condition

That's good news then because I did a bit of late night shopping yesterday for a wheel. With the back seats, took them out to get the belts out, seats have been put back in though because the seat base looks better in. The backrest I am thinking take the panel off and make a blanking plate for it. Will that be classed as having seats? If it is then the base is coming out, may have to lose the airbag module and carpet the floor.

Reaction score
Country
If it's obvious it's not there to be a seat (which to any normal person it would be without a back section haha ) then you'll be fine
Having both the base and back rests of the seats but no seat belts would probably be put down as a fail though
Unfortunately the MOT is all down to the testers' discretion so you can never be 100% certain

Reaction score
Country
Sound that mate thank you. I dont think I could have got any better replies, people that have passed and a tester say it's fine, I'll go with it all being fine then. I have a new tester that goes racing in his spare time, he should be more lenient with the test