What's new

Black Intercoolers

Reaction score
Country
Hi everyone,

I'll be going down the more power route soon - nothing crazy, just a little bit more. Pretty sure I know what I need with regards to other bits and bobs but I don't know what to do about an intercooler.

I know there are loads of threads about intercoolers in general but I'd quite like something black and I can't find any threads about that. All I can really find in this country are some cheap eBay kits or a Mishimoto black core. I have no idea how well/badly the eBay ones will fit, and I don't know what to do when it comes to getting piping, mounts etc for the Mishimoto since it doesn't come with anything.

The other option I found is the Otomoto one that Moog used when he had a S15 on Mighty Car Mods. That looks like it fits pretty well actually and it's a full kit, but then I have to get it from Australia.

I know it all sounds silly because at the end of the day it's just an intercooler, but I can't say I'm a great lover of the usual shiny intercoolers. Maybe it would grow on me but I don't know if I want to spend a few hundred quid to find out.

What do you reckon?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Country
Most kits will need some sort of cutting and shutting of bits of the car so I wouldn't worry too much. As for black piping and cores you have a couple of options a) get an apexi type 2 intercooler that follows the same route as stock pipe work but is front mount so can keep all the black pipe that way b) get the pipes on the kits powder coated. The cores you can just rattle can matey

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I did see that Apex one actually, seems like a pretty good idea.

I didn't know whether it would be alright to just paint up a core. I'll just do that then if that works - would certainly make things easier in terms of getting a cooler.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
You can paint the core . More important to get one that fits and works well imo

Sent from Big Bear Kustoms Ltd using tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I ran a blitz se on mine it was awesome : had an autobahn 88 before that which for the price was very good too . Getting a custom one made up for the new motor though.

Reaction score
Country
The Blitz one does look really good, but can't seem to find one in the UK (not for a reasonable price anyway).

The Autobahn one is looking pretty appealing, especially at that price. What was the fit of that one like? I'd like to keep my stock fogs, so I don't mind doing a bit of jiggery pokey to make it work.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I have never had the fogs so couldn't say but the fit was pretty good to be fair . The blitz is a better kit though . The kit comes with extensions for the battery cables and a battery tie bar to hold the smaller battery and generally seemed better quality . I think I got mine from nengun was about £300 all in

Reaction score
Country
It's actually a really good price on Nengun - £241. Cheapest postage is £72 though, plus all the import fees it comes to around £400.. damn it. Probably would have gone for it if it was around the £300 mark like it was for you.

I'll keep hunting haha!

CMR

Reaction score
Country
The autobahn fits with the aero bumper and fogs with minor trimming to the back of the fog housing. I had one and it's probably in my build thread, the intercooler lives on as liamb has it now on here

However personally today I would go for the greddy type ls (I think) which is damn cheap for what it is. Then spray it

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Can't seem to find any Greddy ones about either in the UK.. about the same price as the Blitz if I get it from Japan but then it's the whole shipping thing again.

Just read through a few build threads where people used the Autobahn one and I think I'll go for that one to be honest. It's a really good price plus I can get it pretty quickly.

Thanks for the advice :)

Reaction score
Country
So it turned out the Autobahn one wasn't available in the U.K. which meant China again and enormous postage and customs fees. Managed to get hold of a Driftworks SuperCool intercooler which someone had had new in the box in their cupboard for a year. Looks really nice quality so we'll see how it fits.