Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Alrighty then.
This guide will probobly not be complete as i only remember to take pics when I was almost finnished.

This is the Tools I used.

Breaker bar, a special oil-plug converter, socket to fit on the converter, ratchet, manual oil pump, diff-oil.

Get the rear on stands so you'll have easy access underneith the rear. Remember, don't just jack the rear up. Use axle stands. Safety first.

Remove the refill-nut. I couldn't get to the fill-bolt because the exhaust was in the way. So I removed the exhaust. You'll only need to remove the rear bit, but I removed it from the cat.

Now there is more access to the refill-nut.
I tried with a regular ratchet, but the square thingie was to small and I would risk ruining the nut. So I bought a oil-plug tool-set. It's a special thingie with perfect fit for both the plugs.

Now remove the refill-nut using the special oil-plug thingie, and the socket on that and finally attach it to a breaker bar.

You might need some muscles to remove it, But on my car this wasn't that bad.

With the refill-nut removed, it's time for the drain-nut. Use the same procedure there as for the refill-nut.
But this time oil will come out of the hole, so be sure to have a bucket underneith to catch it.
This nut was on much tighter than the refill-nut on my car.

Heres a pic of that.
You can see the drain-hole where oil is comming out and the refill-hole on the left side of the diff.

After the oil is drained, screw the drain-plug back tight and use the pump to pump in oil in the refill-hole.
Fill untill it comes out of the hole. I managed to squeeze in about 1.5L

Refit the refill-nut and whipe the area clean from oil.

Job done :thumbs:

Edit: I'm not sure that Motul 90PA is the best option for the diff as the manual instructs you to use oil which isn't LSD specific. Check the S15 service manual to see which oil should be used.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Good work :thumbs:

Can see why it would be difficult to get tot he re-fill nut :rolleyes:

Is that an Aero bumper i spot in the background :wave:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Good work :thumbs:

Can see why it would be difficult to get tot he re-fill nut :rolleyes:

Is that an Aero bumper i spot in the background :wave:
Yepp, in pearl white, but not for long :D
The exhaust hangs there so with it still on I couldn't get anything to grip the oil-plug converter thingie. I guess it's possible with the right tools, but I was going to fit the cat anyway so I just removed the exhaust.

You can also see my friend sleeping under my car. He later got up and slept under his own car instead :sleep: :wack:

Edit: this is now in the useful threads section. If anyone have a problem with that, write something better yourself and a mod will replace it :D

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
You might want to put some of that gasket looking thing on the drain-nut. I don't know where to get it and I didn't use it.

But to be sure that it wont leak, you might want to use it.
I'll see how my diff-oil gets along.

Reaction score
I use ptfe tape on all the sealing nuts, sump gearbox etc just to make sure there are no leaks.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
sorry to bring up an old thread but is the motul oil in the pic the best stuff to use in the diff?

when i had my civic it seemed like everyone was backing a different oil for the lsd box!! bit annoying because i was never certain what was the best stuff to use!

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
sorry to bring up an old thread but is the motul oil in the pic the best stuff to use in the diff?

when i had my civic it seemed like everyone was backing a different oil for the lsd box!! bit annoying because i was never certain what was the best stuff to use!
I was recommended the 90PA oil from Opie Oils in the UK.
But alot of people also use Redline shockproof heavyweight (?).

There are lots and lots of different gearbox oils which would work with the S15 diff.
I personally prefer Motul though as I get good prices from a company here in Sweden and I've heard alot of good things about Motul.
But to be honest. As long as the oil meets the requirements i doubt that the brand will make a huge difference.