What's new

Exhaust manifold heat shield.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@kwalker88
I've had a bit of an issue with my exhaust manifold causing the paint to bubble on my bonnet and now I'm having the car fully resprayed would like to find a solution :love:

Are there any exhaust heat shields available on the market? I've seen heat shields for the ABS system but need something to prevent the temperature of the bonnet directly above the manifold rising. I've already tried some aluminium reflective foil on the underside of the bonnet which made no difference. The manifold was previously wrapped which had no effect either :(

Has anyone else had a similar issue and found a solution?

Reaction score
Country
if your manifold is getting that hot to cause blistering i would look at your timing/fueling ultimately Mapping first

Reaction score
Country
Ah that would explain it.

it might've worth looking in SXOC for a bloke called Blaktooth.

he runs a top mount TD06 (no idea if your on top mount or not) with a carbon bonnet, if my memory serves me correctly he made or bought a shield to curb the heat damaging his.

might be worth looking at his buil thread, it's called Black Beasty or something.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@kwalker88
Yeah. It's only a relatively small vent though.

I wonder if it's worth putting some more vents higher up the bonnet. Or raising it. Failing that I might have to wrap the manifold :eek:hwell:

Reaction score
What about some heat insulation material under the bonnet...otherwise maybe just raise the back of the bonnet a tad

drifter

Reaction score
Country
I've covered the underside of my cf bonnet with heat reflective sheets. Seems to have worked so far and that's with a top mount :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@kwalker88
Awesome, Thank you. I think that might be my first port of call. Wack a load of heat deflector under the bonnet, raise the bonnet slightly and make a heat shield up to bolt to the block.

drifter

Reaction score
Country
i don't think I've actually ever seen your car...i also thought it was red for some reason

...i know your 14a was but could have sworn your 15 was too
My first S15 was red mate, but it was bent to **** so broke it for spares and bought this one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I'm in talks with zircotec about becoming one of their performance centres , this looks a good option

Or they actually offer a lower cost performance coating that can be applied to the manifold /turbo/downpipe that's not ridiculous money. I'm getting my turbo and mani done soon so can show you how it comes out if that's something that would interest you

Sent from Big Bear Kustoms Ltd using tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@kwalker88
That's the stuff i was looking at. It's not cheap but I think it may do the job. Can you let me know how it goes with them!

I've read some stories about coating used manifolds causing them to crack....I think that'll be my last option!