What's new

Recommended clutch for stage 1

Giop27

Reaction score
Country
Hey, looking for a bit of buying advice before I order a new clutch. Started slipping yesterday on boost so having to nurse the car about since it's my daily.

Anyone got some recommendations for a stage 1 clutch? Not looking to spend more than £300, found these 2 online and wondering if anyone else is using either?

EXEDY STAGE 1 CLUTCH KIT NISSAN SILVIA S15 SR20DET | Tegiwa Imports

Exedy Nissan Silvia S15 Stage 1 Organic Clutch

Need to get it done asap since japfest is so close and I've literally just ordered front mount and fuel pump for stage 1 leaving only a nistune chip or ecu to finish off stage 1 mods.

Thanks in advance.

Gio

Reaction score
I run one of these and have done for the past 4 years or so. I only have stage one mods without a tune but I've had no issues with it.

It was quite jumpy to start with and took a while to bed in but now it's all good! :smile:

Both the links are for the same clutch as well so that's a good price from Tegiwa.

Giop27

Reaction score
Country
Nice one, yeah thought they were the same just wasn't 100% sure if there was any slight difference in material.

Will most likely order the one from Tegiwa and fit this weekend, along with cat back exhaust, boost controller, fmic and fuel pump. Busy weekend ahead!

Reaction score
Country
I'll have a nistune ecu going after April 5th. Originally thought I was going to use it but have since opted for a Link. I'll do a decent price on it if you're interested?

Giop27

Reaction score
Country
Aye pm me a price when your getting rid of and I'll see if I can afford.

Giop27

Reaction score
Country
Alright so I took my 'box out yesterday and found that clutch doesn't fit, apparently 99-00 S15 has a dmf with different clutch fitment. Absolute nightmare, already spent too much since being paid to get fmic, fuel pump and the clutch haha, anyone know if I can just buy a lightweight flywheel to suit the clutch in the first link I posted above, otherwise I have to hope tegiwa will do a swap.

Thanks in advance,

Gio

Giop27

Reaction score
Country
Anyone fitted a stage 1 clutch to a 6 speed spec r with dual mass flywheel? Can't seem to find one which will fit and currently stuck with an incorrect clutch and my daily stripped with less than a month to japfest!

Thanks in advance,

Gio

Reaction score
Country
you will need to replace the flywheel. Normally it all comes in a kit with clutch, flywheel and the housing.

Giop27

Reaction score
Country
Damn hoped there was a direct fitting replacement but guess I have no choice. Just find it strange exedy list this as a stage 1 upgrade clutch for s15, guess it's only for spec S models.

Reaction score
I've never heard of there being a difference in spec R S15 clutches.

I don't understand how this doesn't fit as I have one in mine that I bought from Driftworks and I still have the dual mass flywheel in. :eek:hwell: Maybe contact Driftworks and ask?

My car is a 99 plate.

Giop27

Reaction score
Country
Ill give them a try mate thanks, been told by tegiwa I can send the clutch they sent back for a refund, only issue is i already fitted the release bearing onto the housing so it's not exactly fresh out the box haha.

My car is also a 99 plate so hopefully I'll get away with the same clutch.

Giop27

Reaction score
Country
Turns out it was the wrong clutch in the box, thankfully don't have to get a flywheel for now.

Reaction score
Country
I always thought you had to replace the DMF? sure best to anyway whilst on the job as when they become unbalanced they're a pig

Giop27

Reaction score
Country
Aye it's juddering a bit in reverse since replacing clutch last night, think it's down to the new clutch plate having a floating type centre with the springs whilst the standard clutch had a solid friction plate to match the DMF. Will be buying a flywheel soon but had other things to buy atm, doing it at work on the ramp next time because lifting that box in was a nightmare on the ground.

Reaction score
I always thought you had to replace the DMF? sure best to anyway whilst on the job as when they become unbalanced they're a pig
It is a good idea because the DMF is not easy to machine which you should do when putting in a new clutch...But you can still use it if it's in good condition..I replaced mine eventually with a lightened one with shorter flywheel bolts....

Giop27

Reaction score
Country
My flywheel was in good condition so just cleaned it up like I do with any flywheel at work. Anyone replacing clutch in future I'd just recommend getting a solid flywheel at same time save the hassle. Also don't spend all your money on other car parts on pay day like I did haha.

Reaction score
Country
Haha think we are all guilty of that! And also buying parts that we don't really need lol. I bought a manifold that I have no intention of fitting soon as it's a pain in the arse. So I said I'll do it when my turbo gives up- now I'm looking at gt2871r's :D