What's new

Suspension Setup

Reaction score
Country
Hi all,

Just posted another thread (https://forum.s15oc.com/mechanical-and-bodywork/16280-wheel-fitment.html#post158061) about wheel fitment and now Im looking to do the suspension at the same time due to wanting to run 18s hence looking to lower the car by around 25-35mm.

I gather i cant do this to the stock suspension without knackering it so need some advice/discussion on coilovers.

Im going to use the car as a daily so need something thats not too harsh but will allow me to drop the car a touch and maintain good handling characteristics. any thoughts on a good setup? what are you guys running?

ive looked at a range of BC's, Teins etc and can see how they are rated but wanted some input on real-world performance on the street. not looking to track my S15 much if at all so just need a good street setup.

cheers for any answers!

Shifty.

Reaction score
Have you considered Nismo s-tune?
If you see only dropping it that much and it's street car only it may be more suited to your needs.

Reaction score
You have picked two suspension brands which will pretty much serve the needs you have described..I would pick the Teins over the BC's for quality and I reckon the Tein Super Streets would be ideal for what you have described

Reaction score
Country
i wouldn't touch Teins with a barge pole, the top mounts on mine literally crumbled away, when i spoke to Tein UK (granted universally known for being absolutely crap, they simply didn't want to know)..the suspension was 4 years old at the time)

Reaction score
Country
thanks guys. i havent looked into Nismo S-tune yet so will do now. Super Streets were on my list of suitable candidates but ive heard some mixed reviews on them so will investigate more. is 25-35mm drop the right territory to suit an 18 wheel? im not looking to slam the car as i want to maintain clearance for daily drive practicality but i do really want 18s and stock ride height makes them look a bit waffy i am told.

Edit: Tein review case in point it seems. thats a naff failure right there. what do you run now mr janus?

Reaction score
Country
i now have HSD TT's (which have now been discontinued) but been on the car for around 5 -ish years, and they look and perform fine.

Reaction score
Country
the MonoPro are much better than mine, the TT's were entry level and priced accordingly but yeah i don't really think you can go far wrong with HSD's

Reaction score
Country
thanks. been looking at more threads on spring rates too. would 7/5 be too harsh for street? or does this depend more on the damper? 6/4 seems preferred for street from my research.

are coilovers a better option than getting seperate springs and dampers?

will a coilover take up more space towards the wheel hub ergo reducing wheel width allowed?

thanks again :) this forum is awesome.

Reaction score
Country
coilers are the way forward, you have so much more control over the damping/rebound and camber settings when used with adjustable top mounts etc.

as for fitment, the shock itself tends to be narrower and less bulky and doesn't have the lower platform where a spring would sit so fitment of larger wider wheels is generally easier

Reaction score
Country
awesome; thanks man. will do some more reading in to the various brands but those HSD's are a good front runner

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Check out meister r as well around that price , better quality than the hsd

Sent from Big Bear Kustoms Ltd using tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Yeah the Meister R are pretty decent, I got all 4 for 700quid. Thought that was a decent price point too. Believe they are 8kg rears and 6kg fronts. Ride is stiff but not uncomfortable.

Sent from my PLUS using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah the Meister R are pretty decent, I got all 4 for 700quid. Thought that was a decent price point too. Believe they are 8kg rears and 6kg fronts. Ride is stiff but not uncomfortable.

Sent from my PLUS using Tapatalk
I think most manufacturers recommend 8/6 for our cars

Reaction score
Country
8/6 is still pretty firm for the road. 6/4 would be better imo. Bc coilovers ar meant to be good for the cash. apex gen 2 coilovers are essentially the same and you could spec a "comfy" variant which is well suited to the road.

tein are meant to be good but don't suit the uk very well.

Reaction score
i wouldn't touch Teins with a barge pole, the top mounts on mine literally crumbled away, when i spoke to Tein UK (granted universally known for being absolutely crap, they simply didn't want to know)..the suspension was 4 years old at the time)

Iv'e never seen a camber top so seriously corroded as that...was that salt ?

Reaction score
Country
The only input I can give is that I have the BC's and they feel way too hard on even the softest damper settings. I don't know if the pre-load on the spring has been altered on mine, as I didn't fit them, but I suspect they're how they came out of the box.

CMR

Reaction score
Country
I've been on the fence about meister-r for the S body's for awhile. I had them on my mx5 and they were amazing but no one seems to buy them for s bod's.
Or if they do no one ever posts reviews lol.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I've been on the fence about meister-r for the S body's for awhile. I had them on my mx5 and they were amazing but no one seems to buy them for s bod's.
Or if they do no one ever posts reviews lol.
Ha ha I think more likely the latter dude , I know a couple of people who run them and are impressed with them