What's new

Suspension Setup

Reaction score
Country
this is what im concerned about. I dont want to grow tired of the ride if using this as a daily.

anyone else got feedback on their setup re daily driveability?

thanks again all.

I had a new set of HSD HR 7/5 (now monotube) sold them and bought a new set of Meister Zeta R 8/6 (now CRD+) and personally think they both ruined my car on road, both ****e in my opinion, damping way too stiff. Skipping wasn't a real issue, just the constant irritation of the chassis following and transmitting road imperfections and bumps rather than at least reasonably absorbing them.
Meister didn't advertise Zeta S (now CRD) for S chassis at the time but they are meant to be more road orientated.

Then had a new set of AST Sportline 5/4 , they were just ok. Still irritating at <30mph, good on road above that, sprung a bit soft for grip track but easier to tolerate too soft on track than too hard on road.

Now I have a used set of Tein Street flex, 6/5 I believe. Ride was decent with stock 16's but with 18's feel too stiff at low speeds and too soft at high speeds. So far only used on road.

STunes felt nicely damped but never driven hard (not my car) and would sit mega high on 18's.

I love my car but still am not satisfied with the suspension setup, so this year I'm looking at some form of roll centre correction and something along the lines of Ohlins R&T, KW V3 or possibly speak to Meister for custom GT1 setup.

Bear in mind this is just my opinion, I guess 2 things
1: My expectations of entry level suspension was too high
2: My tolerance to a poor ride quality and chassis control is low.

They were all setup up properly.

Reaction score
Country
Apex Limo coilovers for the S13 S14 S15 180SX and Silvia

These are what I have. Admittedly I have not fitted them yet but they sound ideal for the road. The are Apex limo spec which are 4/3 and 30 way damping adjustment. When i get round to fitting them I will be able to say for sure but they certainly aren't harsh on bumpy roads by the sounds of things.

drifter

Reaction score
Country
anyone else got feedback on their setup re daily driveability?
Best road setup I had was S-Tunes with Whiteline ARB's. The Tein Superstreets were not bad either as they're quite soft. TBH, I've never really seen the point of the super soft coilovers, but that's just my opinion. I've gone stiffer purely for trackdays, the Teins were too soft for my liking on track.

Problem is it's all down to personal preference. I could live with anything up to 8/6 on the road for a daily, whereas a lot of the other guys find them far to stiff.

Reaction score
Country
thanks mate.

give me a shout when you fit them. would be keen to know how they ride. read th ereview on that thread and they sound really promising. twice the stiffness of stock too so that sounds like a reasonable gain without going too stiff. where abouts in kent are you?

Apex Limo coilovers for the S13 S14 S15 180SX and Silvia

These are what I have. Admittedly I have not fitted them yet but they sound ideal for the road. The are Apex limo spec which are 4/3 and 30 way damping adjustment. When i get round to fitting them I will be able to say for sure but they certainly aren't harsh on bumpy roads by the sounds of things.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
I had a look at the S-tunes before but was put off as they arent height adjustable and have a fixed lowering of 20mm.

were the Teins fine for aggressive cornering etc on street? I dont plan to track my car but do like driving it hard on a nice sunny afternoon now and then.

really need to get in a few cars and go for a ride to see what its like. only been in Rich's which was as he says quite firm.

Best road setup I had was S-Tunes with Whiteline ARB's. The Tein Superstreets were not bad either as they're quite soft. TBH, I've never really seen the point of the super soft coilovers, but that's just my opinion. I've gone stiffer purely for trackdays, the Teins were too soft for my liking on track.

Problem is it's all down to personal preference. I could live with anything up to 8/6 on the road for a daily, whereas a lot of the other guys find them far to stiff.

Reaction score
Country
I've actually moved to Basildon now as it was closer to work and i hated the tunnel commute. The limo spec are purely a street setup as they aren't stiff enough to be aggressive on track which is ideal for me as i don't want to track my car but wanted the adjustability of coilovers. will keep you posted mate

Reaction score
Country
ah cool. i live in midlands but my company headquartered in brentwood. can imagine dartford sucks to commute through.

sounds like what im after too then tbh as i dont think i could ever get as aggressive on the road as on a track without sideswiping a tree
I've actually moved to Basildon now as it was closer to work and i hated the tunnel commute. The limo spec are purely a street setup as they aren't stiff enough to be aggressive on track which is ideal for me as i don't want to track my car but wanted the adjustability of coilovers. will keep you posted mate

drifter

Reaction score
Country
I had a look at the S-tunes before but was put off as they arent height adjustable and have a fixed lowering of 20mm.

were the Teins fine for aggressive cornering etc on street? I dont plan to track my car but do like driving it hard on a nice sunny afternoon now and then.

really need to get in a few cars and go for a ride to see what its like. only been in Rich's which was as he says quite firm.
Teins were more than capable on the road imo :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk