What's new

Wheel Fitment

Reaction score
Country
Hi all,

I am looking to import an S15 soon and am starting to plan my build in advance with wheels being near the top of the list.

I have read the wheel fitment sticky thread started by Jull and have also researched fitment as much as i can elsewhere but still have a couple of questions i would like to clear up if anyone can help?

1. I would like to run 18's as i feel these are the optimum size for visual points and would also like to get as much rubber on the rear as possible. most setups i have seen with 18s are 8/8.5j wheel width with anything from 225-255 tyres. what is the max i can get on the back without contacting the suspension etc or sticking out from the arch. how will rolling the rear arches affect this value?

2. what can i get away with on the fronts in terms of wheel/tyre width? i have seen various specs again and think 235 tyres seem to be about the best without contacting the suspension or wheel arch?

3. how are answers to the above two questions affected by changing from stock suspension to coilovers? my plan initially is to drop the car by 25-35mm with some springs and then swap out for coilovers at a later date when i have the money and/or knacker the stock suspension. id rather not find i need narrower wheels down the line because new coilovers mess with the clearance. future-proofing is my main reason for planning the whole build early instead of doing it as i go along.

4. what are the best tyres for 18's in terms of profile and getting a good ride comfort/handling balance? around 40?

5. any considerations with brakes? i plan to keep stock calipers and uprate the disks and pads. i assume a bigger caliper would pose the biggest risk to contacting the wheel spokes if offset is too low?

any and all answers greatly appreciated!

regards,

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
dont fit springs on standard shocks, they'll wreck them in no time.

8.5 on front is fine...i run 9.5 et -10 with a little camber dialled in and fairly low and only scrubs on full lock...or a bumpy road, as for tyres i run 225/40/18 which helps to clear the arch, the shock currently sits around 6-8mm away from rim of wheel.

if you are having to buy either suspension or wheels (as opposed to both at same time), i would look at suspension first, a standard height car on larger wheels will look silly, whereas a set of standard wheels but dropped can look ok

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
This was my fear. Can't get any movement out of stock dampers?

I can do both at same time if that's what's needed. Need to research coilovers more now as I don't want it too firm because I'm gonna use it as a daily drive.

Do coilovers not approach the backside of the wheel more than the stock setup?

Also if a 9.5 can fit on the front why do more people not use even wider on the back for traction? My thinking was get as much rubber on the road as possible but am I almost gonna end up with too much and ruin the playfulness?

Reaction score
Is that quite stretched hugh janus?

I run a 225/45/18 tyre on the front but mines on an 8 inch rim not a 9.5. I run a 245/45/18 on the rear on a 9 inch wide rim, i chose to keep quite a large sidewall as it is a street car and wanted to keep a supple ride. I did the hard coilovers and low profile tyres years ago and with the awful condition of the local roads it somewhat ruined the enjoyment of the car for me, it's all personal though in regards to what you want out of the car.

Reaction score
Country
Hi Tom, no not really I would consider a 215 on 9.5 which I have seen..too much

i used to run 235 on my 14a on the same wheels and I can't say I've noticed a difference...BUT. I will admit I've probably only done 500 miles on the 225's

ill get a couple of pics

As for wider rears I guess it's personal preference I like square set up not staggered.

Reaction score
Country
Some might say it's too much but as mentioned I've not had issues

grr photobicket is playing up

Reaction score
Country
phwar that is some stretch. no issues with this so far? i assume this helps prevent scrubbing that you would get with say a 245?

Reaction score
Country
no issues so far, as i mentioned i used to run a 235 on the same wheels (but on my 14a) for about 5 years again with no issues either

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@kwalker88
I had 9.5s all round on 235 tyres with no issues.

I now run 10j all round with 235 tyres but it's a hell of a stretch. More than I would like but I'm living with it until I flare the rear arches.IIRC I'm also using 25mm spacers on the rear.

Reaction score
Country
hello guys, i'm a new s15 owner and i'd like to change wheels. On my car document there is the indication to install the 235/40 ZR17 tires. I'd like to buy the volk te37 wheels but i don't know the suitable rim. can u help to me about?
Thanks

Reaction score
Country
you can get whatever wheels you like really as long as the stud pattern is the same as stock. see previous posts in this thread re wheel width and fitment. 15's,17's,18's it doesnt matter; you match the tyre to the wheel and try to keep the total wheel circumference the same.

the issue im having is making sure the wheel/tyre are nice and wide for extra traction but not so wide they contact the suspension or wheel arch etc.

hello guys, i'm a new s15 owner and i'd like to change wheels. On my car document there is the indication to install the 235/40 ZR17 tires. I'd like to buy the volk te37 wheels but i don't know the suitable rim. can u help to me about?
Thanks

lewis

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@lewis_concannon
Im also looking at some wheels at the moment a set of 18 x 9.5 et 12 have come up for sale, anyone ran this before on s15? am i just dreaming that they will fit? :lol:

Reaction score
Country
sounds like exactly what ill be looking at so im keen to see if anyone has run with success too.

where in west midlands you from Lewis? im in same area.

Im also looking at some wheels at the moment a set of 18 x 9.5 et 12 have come up for sale, anyone ran this before on s15? am i just dreaming that they will fit? :lol:

lewis

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@lewis_concannon
Shifty1303 I'm in coventry dude where abouts are you?

I really want to be able to keep stock fender for now and hope those sizes will fit, even if it means rolling them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
ah no way. i work in Cov and live in Leam! can i come see your S15 some time? :D havent got mine yet as in the mortgage process but im gonna order mine as soon as mortgage completes. every time i see one in the flesh i just wanna throw money at the importer.

my number is 07766 576363 if you wanna drop me a message?

lewis

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@lewis_concannon
yeah you're more than welcome to come and see it when its here, currently at torque gt getting registered ect. The wait is killing me :Cry: I have a few mods ready to go but it comes with some bunk looking volk se37 replicas by the looks of it so I wanna get some new wheels lined up for when its ready.

Reaction score
Country
awesome thanks man. got any pics of it? im using TorqueGT too. Darren there has been awesome so far!

what mods you lining up first? i got most of my build planned out now already too :D

gonna stick work emotion 18's on mine.

yeah you're more than welcome to come and see it when its here, currently at torque gt getting registered ect. The wait is killing me :Cry: I have a few mods ready to go but it comes with some bunk looking volk se37 replicas by the looks of it so I wanna get some new wheels lined up for when its ready.

lewis

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@lewis_concannon
Yeah it was Darren that sourced mine he was super helpful. I can get some more pics up when I'm home from work today for you I was thinking of starting a build thread but wanted to wait until I had the car.
I've got a nardi wheel snap off nrg hub ect.. some splitfire plugs carbon bits all the usual bits. The car comes with hpi front pipe and kakimoto regu 06 already so that's but I'm looking at getting a front mount for it next maybe new intake. All generic must have mods so far but I've been looking at wheels for ages and spotted the ones I want but like I said I'm unsure they will fit so I didn't want to just buy them before checking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk