What's new

Where to find a distributor for SR20DE?

Reaction score
Country
Hi, I have an NA Qs S14 with the bentcam SR20DE; same engine as in Spec S S15s. These have a distributor as opposed to individual coilpacks. Mine has an intermittent starting issue where 50% of the time it'll crank and crank and crank until it either randomly fires up and runs without issue or fires up after tapping / jiggling the dizzy and the two plugs on the dizzy. Once it is running there is no issues whatsoever.

The car has done 200k miles and been in the country for 10 years. No motor factors stock the dizzy and it is 100% not the same as any FWD SR dizzy (Almera GTI etc); from what I can see, there was no UKDM Nissan equipped with a RWD SR20DE or this distributor. I'm guessing this dizzy is 10+ years / 130k+ old and pretty sure its the cause of my starting issue, which is getting progressively worse.

I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to find one; does anyone know where I could get one, if I can use one off another car or if I can recon it? I need to get it sorted ASAP as its my daily and I can see it giving up completely pretty soon. So far I have tried all major motor factors, Nissan main dealer, finding second hand on FB groups and extensive searching on cross compatibility and have come up completely dry. There's a frustratingly severe lack of info on these engines as well, which I guess is understandable considering they were JDM only. There seem to be far more Spec S S15s around than Qs S14s so I figured this would be a good place to ask; has anyone here had dizzy issues on their Spec S? What did they do, where did they find parts etc etc?